"Regensburg" Top 5 Page for this destination Regensburg by Kathrin_E
Regensburg Travel Guide: 236 reviews and 744 photos
Regensburg is one of the very rare examples of cities that have preserved a notable amount of authentic medieval architecture beyond the occasional church, wall and gate tower. It survived not only World War II mostly unharmed but also the wars prior and the various trends of modernization. Apart from the 12th century stone bridge and the cathedral, there is the ensemble of the old town and the river with the opposite suburb of Stadtamhof which earned Regensburg the status of UNESCO world heritage.
Dozens of medieval tower houses are preserved, which is unique North of the Alps. These are the homes of the well-to-do, of course, because they could afford building in stone. Not much is left of the poorer groups in society.
However, if you have the usual “timberframe and cobblestones” picture in your mind, you will be disappointed. This fairytale image is mostly based not on the real middle ages but on 19th century historism and the illustrations from the era of romanticism. These don’t have much in common with the real thing.
Despite the increasing number of visitors, luckily the city has not yet been overrun by mass tourism. It is a living city where locals have their daily lives and run their errands. The old town has some 14,000 inhabitants who have their permanent homes there. Souvenir shops are the minority. Only on and around the old bridge you feel the impacts of the recent river cruise boom. The rest of the city does not (yet?) have that theme park feel that has ruined other tourist hotspots. So far Regensburg digests the tour groups well, for which we can be glad.
"Hotel Kaiserhof am Dom" is the correct name, by the way, dear VT database... Hotel Kaiserhof is located in a building... more travel advice
The square East of the Dom is mostly a parking lot, but it is surrounded by several interesting buildings and full of... more travel advice
Kathrin_E's Related Pages
Regensburg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Who says you can't go back? Regensburg"
- "An Afternoon In Regensburg"
- "Under construction"
- "Regensburg - a magical city"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Regensburg
- Hotels in Regensburg
- Transportation in Regensburg
- Nightlife in Regensburg
- Restaurants in Regensburg
- Shopping in Regensburg
- Warnings and Dangers in Regensburg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Regensburg
- 38 Reviews
- 139 Photos
- 8 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (88)
Have you been to Regensburg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Regensburg
Photos in RegensburgSee All Photos (139)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Karlsruhe Intro, 119 reviews, 428 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marburg an der Lahn Intro, 78 reviews, 294 photos, 8 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 18 reviews, 273 photos, 25 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuxhaven Intro, 47 reviews, 241 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Konstanz Intro, 47 reviews, 240 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 46 reviews, 223 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Essen Intro, 43 reviews, 219 photos, 6 travelogues
- Annaberg-Buchholz Intro, 25 reviews, 223 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wismar Intro, 39 reviews, 196 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Landshut Intro, 39 reviews, 191 photos, 4 travelogues