"Haapsalu" Top 5 Page for this destination Haapsalu by Kathrin_E
Haapsalu Travel Guide: 80 reviews and 306 photos
Haapsalu is a small town located on a peninsula, surrounded by bays and reeds and islands. For whatever geology reason the terrain here is rising by 3 millimetres per year. Haapsalu once had a sea harbour but this has long been given up. The former harbour basin is turning into a lake. The shores of the bay are covered with reeds, the water is shallow.
Haapsalu has become a laid-back, quiet place, as not to call it 'sleepy'. The town centre mostly consists of one- or two-storey wooden houses, most of them in good shape and painted in pastel colours.
At a closer look the town reveals its much more glorious role in history. In the middle ages it was the seat of the bishops of Ösel-Wiek. Their castle and cathedral are Haapsalu's most impressive sights. Later it became a centre of Swedish trade and culture in Estonia. The last Russian Czar used to spend his summer holidays here. To him the town owes its beautiful train station, which unfortunately is not in use any more.
The little baroque town hall looks tiny next to the castle. Even for the administration of a small town like Haapsalu it... more travel advice
The building in Lossi plaats opposite the entrance to the castle was feared in Soviet times and nobody wanted to go... more travel advice
Kathrin_E's Related Pages
Haapsalu Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "HAAPSALU TOWN"
- "Haapsalu- Small Town with Great History"
- "Step back in time at Haapsalu"
- "Bonio's trip to Haapsalu"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Haapsalu
- Hotels in Haapsalu
- Transportation in Haapsalu
- Nightlife in Haapsalu
- Restaurants in Haapsalu
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Haapsalu
- 18 Reviews
- 87 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (91)
Have you been to Haapsalu?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Haapsalu
Photos in HaapsaluSee All Photos (87)
Top 10 Pages
- Wroclaw Intro, 98 reviews, 516 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Karlsruhe Intro, 120 reviews, 431 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marburg an der Lahn Intro, 79 reviews, 303 photos, 8 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 18 reviews, 273 photos, 25 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuxhaven Intro, 47 reviews, 241 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Konstanz Intro, 47 reviews, 240 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 46 reviews, 223 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Essen Intro, 43 reviews, 219 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Münster Intro, 41 reviews, 218 photos, 10 travelogues
- Annaberg-Buchholz Intro, 25 reviews, 223 photos, 15 travelogues