"Tartu - University With A Town" Top 5 Page for this destination Tartu by Kathrin_E
Tartu Travel Guide: 194 reviews and 542 photos
Tartu reminds me a lot of my dear old Marburg where I spent my student years: a small town where everything and (almost) everyone circles around the university. Academic culture in all its aspects shows up everywhere. Tartu names itself the "City of Good Thoughts".
I visited Tartu with a group from a service club of business women that I am member of and we got in touch with our sister club in Tartu. Those wonderful ladies organized the entire programme for us during those two days we had in town and showed us a lot, both major sights and little details we otherwise would not have known about.
I would love to visit again some day, those two days were too short.
Tartu is a neoclassical town. In 1775 a big fire destroyed the centre. Few older buildings remained. Most of the present architecture shows the style of the late 18th and early 19th century with its Greek-Roman features and light colours. The old town has wide strets and a clean, fresh appearance.
Park Hotel is Tartu's oldest hotel. It was finished in 1940 and originally owned by the YMCA. City architect Arnold... more travel advice
Estonians have a faible for the yummiest cakes and pralines and sweets, and they know how to make them. Better not be on... more travel advice
Kathrin_E's Related Pages
Tartu Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "CITY OF THE CATS"
- "Oh Tartu Town!"
- "The town of students"
- "Tartu - University With A Town"
- "Tartu - oldest Estonian university town"
- "Tartu Town"
- "Tartu - Estonia's Second City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tartu
- Hotels in Tartu
- Transportation in Tartu
- Nightlife in Tartu
- Restaurants in Tartu
- Shopping in Tartu
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tartu
- 20 Reviews
- 102 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (131)
Have you been to Tartu?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tartu
Top 10 Pages
- Wroclaw Intro, 98 reviews, 516 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Karlsruhe Intro, 120 reviews, 432 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marburg an der Lahn Intro, 79 reviews, 303 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuxhaven Intro, 48 reviews, 250 photos, 10 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 18 reviews, 273 photos, 25 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Konstanz Intro, 47 reviews, 240 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 46 reviews, 223 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Essen Intro, 43 reviews, 219 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Münster Intro, 41 reviews, 218 photos, 10 travelogues
- Annaberg-Buchholz Intro, 25 reviews, 223 photos, 15 travelogues