"Tartu - University With A Town" Top 5 Page for this destination Tartu by Kathrin_E

Tartu Travel Guide: 189 reviews and 518 photos

Tartu reminds me a lot of my dear old Marburg where I spent my student years: a small town where everything and (almost) everyone circles around the university. Academic culture in all its aspects shows up everywhere. Tartu names itself the "City of Good Thoughts".

I visited Tartu with a group from a service club of business women that I am member of and we got in touch with our sister club in Tartu. Those wonderful ladies organized the entire programme for us during those two days we had in town and showed us a lot, both major sights and little details we otherwise would not have known about.
I would love to visit again some day, those two days were too short.

Tartu is a neoclassical town. In 1775 a big fire destroyed the centre. Few older buildings remained. Most of the present architecture shows the style of the late 18th and early 19th century with its Greek-Roman features and light colours. The old town has wide strets and a clean, fresh appearance.

• Last visit to Tartu: Sep 2009
  • Intro Updated Oct 2, 2010

• travelfrosch's Profile Photo
    Jan 30, 2011 at 7:33 AM

You really should tell Russell to be more careful! :) Thanks for the virtual tour of Tartu. Cheers, Mark

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Oct 28, 2010 at 1:41 PM

Kathrin, fabulous page with brilliant photos of Tartu. Unfortunately, up to now I only made it to Tallinn in Estonia, but that was back in 2002, even before they joined the European Union.

• diosh's Profile Photo
    Nov 9, 2009 at 6:05 PM

"Kiss me again", but only if you've had the garlic bread too!LOL Looks wonderful. Will try to make it.

Kathrin_E

“Life is too short to drink bad wine.”

Badges & Stats in Tartu