"Rheinbach: Small Town Between Rhine And Eifel" Rheinbach by Kathrin_E

Rheinbach Travel Guide: 40 reviews and 132 photos

In spite of its name, Rheinbach is NOT situated in the Rhine valley. It's not too far away, though: 20 kms West of Bonn at the foot of the Eifel hills.

The whole town can be considered "well off the beaten path", so it's quite hard to classify the tips. I have a bet with myself, though: is it possible to write 39 tips - one for each year our family has been connected with this place - about a little town like this?

We'll see that a seemingly uninteresting place has a lot of hidden beauties and things to do.

To me, Rheinbach means heaps of childhood memories and family visits. In 1969 my grandparents moved here after Grandpa retired. He died here in 2007, aged 95. Grandma is about to move away because at 88 she can't cope with living on her own any more. So this may have been my last visit...

Update: It was my last visit. Grandma has in the meantime moved into an old people's home close to where my parents live.

• Last visit to Rheinbach: Aug 2008
  • Intro Updated Mar 30, 2009

• Jan 29, 2009 at 2:27 PM

i like the picture of: Remnants of the fortification

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Oct 2, 2008 at 12:53 PM

Hello Kathrin, I enjoyed reading your tips about this pleasant town where your grandparents lived -- especially since it is a center of glass making and glass art. My father came from Gablonz an der Neisse, which at the time was also a glass-making town.

Kathrin_E

“Life is too short to drink bad wine.”

Badges & Stats in Rheinbach

Have you been to Rheinbach?