"Rostock - Resurrection of Hanseatic Glory" Top 5 Page for this destination Rostock by Kathrin_E

Rostock Travel Guide: 149 reviews and 470 photos

Rostock’s reputation throughout DDR times, and afterwards, has never been the one of a top tourist destination, rather that of a port town with a glorious past but not much left of it. Reading through a Mecklenburg travel guide and some pages, tips and photos on VT made me notice, however, that there seemed to be more to the city than I thought. Out of sheer curiosity I decided upon a day trip to Rostock during my holiday on the Baltic Sea coast.

Rostock is worth a full day, and I recommend wearing your most comfortable shoes. Explore the streets off the beaten path. This city is full of surprises if you are ready to see them. It may not be the most spectacular Hanseatic town along the Baltic Sea. If you expect five-star sights and tourist infrastructure everywhere, better see Lübeck, Wismar, or Stralsund. If you are, on the other hand, interested in a treasure hunt, and into Germany’s recent history and seeing the changes after the reunification, Rostock may surprise you as much as it surprised me.

• Last visit to Rostock: Jul 2009
  • Intro Updated Aug 21, 2009

• german_eagle's Profile Photo
    Sep 5, 2009 at 8:52 AM

This city is quite a surprise, excellent presentation here! I use to sneak into buildings I am not supposed to enter, too :-)

• yooperprof's Profile Photo
    Aug 21, 2009 at 6:51 PM

I love these old Hansa towns! i passed through Rostock en route from Copenhagen to Berlin this summer - looks as if it would be well worth a visit.

Kathrin_E

“Life is too short to drink bad wine.”

Badges & Stats in Rostock

Have you been to Rostock?

Latest Activity in Rostock