"Schneeberg" Schneeberg by Kathrin_E
Schneeberg Travel Guide: 19 reviews and 112 photos
My visit to Schneeberg was very short and I had not planned to make a page, but since there is absobloomin'lutely nothing about it on VT yet apart from my furry travel companion's photos, I decided to give a quick presentation of this old mining town in the Ore Mountains.
Schneeberg's wealth is based on silver ore which was found here at the end of the middle ages. The biggest testimony of the town's wealth in the 16th century is the church of St. Wolfgang, an important building in the row of the Saxon gothic hall churches. The town, however, has been destroyed by a fire in 1719, hence there is hardly any older architecture left. The general appearance is baroque with some later additions.
We came to Schneeberg on the last day of our choir excursion to sing during the Sunday service. The main church in Schneeberg is the huge gothic church of St Wolfgang, a typical example of those Saxon hall churches that appear in every textbook about gothic architecture. Acoustics are tricky, though. Singing in there is not easy. But I think we did our best!
Unfortunately I did not have any time to visit, for example, the Museum of Folk Art of the Ore Mountains in Bortenreuterhaus or see more of the town than a quick walk round Markt and Fürstenplatz in the morning before the rehearsal. I apologize for the superficiality of this page, but - better than nothing...
Schneeberg was founded in 1471 during the big "silver rush" in the Ore Mountains. The ressources of silver that were... more travel advice
The town hall in the middle separates the two market squares. Schneeberg's town hall had two precedessors. The 16th... more travel advice
Kathrin_E's Related Pages
Schneeberg Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Schneeberg
- Transportation in Schneeberg
- Shopping in Schneeberg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Schneeberg
- 5 Reviews
- 26 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (94)
Have you been to Schneeberg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Schneeberg
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Karlsruhe Intro, 119 reviews, 428 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marburg an der Lahn Intro, 78 reviews, 294 photos, 8 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 18 reviews, 273 photos, 25 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuxhaven Intro, 47 reviews, 241 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Konstanz Intro, 47 reviews, 240 photos, 10 travelogues
- Dresden Intro, 46 reviews, 223 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Essen Intro, 43 reviews, 219 photos, 6 travelogues
- Annaberg-Buchholz Intro, 25 reviews, 223 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wismar Intro, 39 reviews, 196 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Landshut Intro, 39 reviews, 191 photos, 4 travelogues