"Schneeberg" Schneeberg by Kathrin_E

Schneeberg Travel Guide: 19 reviews and 112 photos

My visit to Schneeberg was very short and I had not planned to make a page, but since there is absobloomin'lutely nothing about it on VT yet apart from my furry travel companion's photos, I decided to give a quick presentation of this old mining town in the Ore Mountains.

Schneeberg's wealth is based on silver ore which was found here at the end of the middle ages. The biggest testimony of the town's wealth in the 16th century is the church of St. Wolfgang, an important building in the row of the Saxon gothic hall churches. The town, however, has been destroyed by a fire in 1719, hence there is hardly any older architecture left. The general appearance is baroque with some later additions.

We came to Schneeberg on the last day of our choir excursion to sing during the Sunday service. The main church in Schneeberg is the huge gothic church of St Wolfgang, a typical example of those Saxon hall churches that appear in every textbook about gothic architecture. Acoustics are tricky, though. Singing in there is not easy. But I think we did our best!

Unfortunately I did not have any time to visit, for example, the Museum of Folk Art of the Ore Mountains in Bortenreuterhaus or see more of the town than a quick walk round Markt and Fürstenplatz in the morning before the rehearsal. I apologize for the superficiality of this page, but - better than nothing...

• Last visit to Schneeberg: Sep 2011
  • Intro Updated Nov 18, 2013

• german_eagle's Profile Photo
    Oct 12, 2011 at 11:04 AM

Very interesting page on this little town. I think I saw the Cranach altar on a Saturday. Must check the pictures. Yep, weekday.

Kathrin_E

“Life is too short to drink bad wine.”

Badges & Stats in Schneeberg

Have you been to Schneeberg?

Latest Activity in Schneeberg