"A Winter's Day in Linz" Top 5 Page for this destination Linz by Kathrin_E

Linz Travel Guide: 143 reviews and 452 photos

My visit to Linz was just a day trip from Passau, and it took place in December, so all I had were a few short daylight hours. It was a really glorious winter's day with quite a bit of snow on the ground, and after a foggy morning the sun broke through. So I decided against indoor sights in favour of being outside, walking and taking photos.

I like Christmas markets a lot, so this was another point on my list. Hauptplatz, the central square and 'living room' of the city, was prettily decorated and illuminated.

What I enjoyed most, though, was the excursion by tram to the top of Pöstlingberg, a mountain on the Northern edge of the city. The top overlooks the city and the Danube valley. There is a pilgrimage church on top, and some other attractions which were unfortunately closed for winter. Anyway, the walk in the snow and the view were very pleasant.

• Last visit to Linz: Dec 2012
  • Intro Updated Dec 19, 2012

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Apr 6, 2013 at 7:00 AM

Brilliant winter photos! I once went through Linz in a Faltboot, on our way from Tuttlingen to Vienna, and I think we even stayed overnight at the campground in Linz, but we didn't see much of the city.

• german_eagle's Profile Photo
    Dec 28, 2012 at 10:15 AM

Love the winter pics! Pöstliberg is really the highlight, I'd say. Don't tell me you didn't try one of those yummy Austrian pastries, hehe ;-)

• ettiewyn's Profile Photo
    Dec 21, 2012 at 2:06 AM

This was the perfect read this morning to get into a festive mood for the christmas days... Your photos of Linz are so wonderful, what a gorgeous day it must have been!

• rudysmom626's Profile Photo
    Dec 20, 2012 at 5:38 PM

Hey Kathrin_E! Just wanted to let you know that one of your photos on this page was chosen as our Member Photo of the Week! You can see it featured on our VT Facebook page here: http://www.facebook.com/VirtualTourist

I'll be emailing you shortly so we can send you some VT swag!

Nice work and gorgeous photos!
    Blake aka Rudysmom626

• ettiewyn's Profile Photo
    Dec 18, 2012 at 1:21 PM

Is this page still under construction? Please tell me when you have finished it :-)

Kathrin_E

“Life is too short to drink bad wine.”

Badges & Stats in Linz