"Schwäbisch Gmünd and the Guggemusik Festival" Schwäbisch Gmünd by Kathrin_E
Schwäbisch Gmünd Travel Guide: 45 reviews and 114 photos
Once per year Schwäbisch Hall is ruled by brass and drums played by people in strange masks and vestments. During the annual Guggemusik festival, some 20 bands from near and far play on stage and in the streets.
Guggemusik is a musical style that is popular in the carnival of Switzerland and southwest Germany. Fun and noise count more than hitting the right notes. A good Gugge band will smash the ear drums of any 'serious' musician but it is just... gorgeous.
If you want to hear what they sound like, this page here has a couple of videos... Turn up the volume!!!!
Disclaimer first: I visited Schwäbisch Gmünd on a very busy and noisy day, so my sight seeing options were very limited. I came for the festival but did a walk of the town in between to give my eardrums a rest, so I at least briefly got to see a bit of its heritage. The town deserves a more thorough exploration, undisturbed by Guggemusik bands. So my tips on sights must remain superficial. Anyway, a superficial hint that points to the right direction can still be useful.
Schwäbisch Gmünd is a small town in the Rems valley east of Stuttgart, relatively unimportant nowadays. Until 1803, however, it was a free imperial city. Its old public buildings still show the pride and ambition that goes with this status.
Some houses are very well restored, unfortunately many others are not, so the town could look much more beautiful if some work was done on them.
Fünfknopfturm on the western side of the old town got its name because of its five peaks ending in five golden knobs.... more travel advice
Five towers of the town's medieval fortification are preserved. Königsturm in the south is the largest of them. Due to... more travel advice
Kathrin_E's Related Pages
Schwäbisch Gmünd Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Where it all began...."
- "Schwäbisch Gmünd"
- "Schwäbisch Gmünd and the Guggemusik Festival"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Schwäbisch Gmünd
- Hotels in Schwäbisch Gmünd
- Transportation in Schwäbisch Gmünd
- Nightlife in Schwäbisch Gmünd
- Restaurants in Schwäbisch Gmünd
- Shopping in Schwäbisch Gmünd
- Warnings and Dangers in Schwäbisch Gmünd
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Schwäbisch Gmünd
- 17 Reviews
- 78 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (140)
Have you been to Schwäbisch Gmünd?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Schwäbisch Gmünd
Photos in Schwäbisch GmündSee All Photos (78)
Videos in Schwäbisch GmündSee All Videos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wroclaw Intro, 100 reviews, 526 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Karlsruhe Intro, 120 reviews, 432 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marburg an der Lahn Intro, 79 reviews, 303 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuxhaven Intro, 48 reviews, 250 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Münster Intro, 46 reviews, 246 photos, 10 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 18 reviews, 273 photos, 25 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Konstanz Intro, 47 reviews, 240 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 46 reviews, 223 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Essen Intro, 43 reviews, 219 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Schwetzingen Intro, 39 reviews, 214 photos, 10 travelogues