"Schwarzenberg in the Ore Mountains" Schwarzenberg by Kathrin_E
Schwarzenberg Travel Guide: 32 reviews and 185 photos
A lot of fancy names have been found for this town, like the "crown" or the "pearl" of the Ore Mountains. The skyline with church and castle on top of a steep rock above the valley deserves some enthusiasm indeed.
Unlike most towns in the Ore Mountains, Schwarzenberg is not a new foundation from the silver rush era in the late middle ages but a lot older. Its history begins at least 300 years earlier when a regional nobleman built his castle on the tip of the rock promontory.
We don't know if the first inhabitant was really the Knight Georg who fought and killed his neighbour, the terrible dragon who lived on the rock next-door. Edelweiß is blooming in the streets, bells of Meißen china ring their melodies, and for six short weeks in its history Schwarzenberg was even an independent republic. In other words, a place full of legends.
When we visited, however, it became a place full of music. "We" means a busload full of choir singers. One of our sopranos is from Schwarzenberg, and she organized four-day excursion for uswhich included singing a concert in Schwarzenberg's church St Georgen and also singing during the Sunday service in St Wolfgang in Schneeberg.
In this beautiful church with its excellent acoustics we sang Mendelssohn. Schumann and Franc.
The Ore Mountains are Christmas country and Schwarzenberg is one of the most traditional centres. I have not (yet?) been... more travel advice
This art nouveau town house is a bit like a paradise bird in Schwarzenberg's old town. Or better: a paradise garden,... more travel advice
Written May 9, 2016
Church St Georgen: Details
Written May 9, 2016
Kathrin_E's Related Pages
Schwarzenberg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Schwarzenberg in the Ore Mountains"
- "A Wombat in Schwarzenberg"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Schwarzenberg
- Hotels in Schwarzenberg
- Transportation in Schwarzenberg
- Restaurants in Schwarzenberg
- Warnings and Dangers in Schwarzenberg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Schwarzenberg
- 14 Reviews
- 74 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (137)
Have you been to Schwarzenberg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Schwarzenberg
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Food and wine crawl anybody?"
- updated a Schwarzenberg Travel Page "Schwarzenberg in the Ore Mountains"
- Commented on one of german_eagle's Schwarzenberg tips
- Wrote a Review Reminders of Advent Season in Schwarzenberg Local Customs
- Uploaded a Photo to "Reminders of Advent Season"
Photos in SchwarzenbergSee All Photos (74)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wroclaw Intro, 100 reviews, 526 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Karlsruhe Intro, 120 reviews, 432 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marburg an der Lahn Intro, 79 reviews, 303 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuxhaven Intro, 48 reviews, 250 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Münster Intro, 46 reviews, 246 photos, 10 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 18 reviews, 273 photos, 25 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Konstanz Intro, 47 reviews, 240 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 46 reviews, 223 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Essen Intro, 43 reviews, 219 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Schwetzingen Intro, 39 reviews, 214 photos, 10 travelogues