"Schwerin" Top 5 Page for this destination Schwerin by Kathrin_E

Schwerin Travel Guide: 81 reviews and 290 photos

Does anyone have a clue how many lakes surround Schwerin? I have counted 11 different lake names on my town map but there must be more outside the map's borders. The landscape with the open waters, big and small, makes the town unique.

A small island between Burgsee and Schweriner see, the largest of the lakes, carries the palace. Postcard views are available in abundance. Unfortunately I was not granted postcard weather - all right, at least it stayed dry despite the dark grey clouds.

For those of you who are interested in architecture, Schwerin is a textbook of 19th century styles. Large parts of the town and its buildings were designed or redesigned in neoclassical, neogothic, neorenaissance and any other of historism's "neo" styles.

My visit to Schwerin was short, all I had was a stopover of 3 1/2 hours on the way from home to Wismar. This was enough for a walk of the town and around the palace but not enough to see, for example, the palace museum, enjoy the historical gardens, or do a cruise on the big lake - things I would have liked to do and will definitely do next time.

• Last visit to Schwerin: Jun 2009
  • Intro Updated Jul 7, 2009

• german_eagle's Profile Photo
    Nov 18, 2010 at 2:19 AM

Another excellent page. Oh, and another fountain by Peter Lenk ... love his humour! Looks like I should put Schwerin on the list. Too much has changed since the fall of the wall.

• iaint's Profile Photo
    Jul 24, 2010 at 11:36 PM

Yes, cute ferry; and now I know where Schwerin is!

• christine.j's Profile Photo
    Jul 10, 2010 at 12:11 PM

Schwerin was doing a promotion here today ,so I decided to read about it. Thanks for the tips. I liked the song about the cow, and I must confess your English version was much easier to read than the M-P one. That's a hard dialect to understand!

Kathrin_E

“Life is too short to drink bad wine.”

Badges & Stats in Schwerin

Have you been to Schwerin?