"The Palace Gardens - 18th Century Wonderland" Top 5 Page for this destination Schwetzingen by Kathrin_E
Schwetzingen Travel Guide: 89 reviews and 418 photos
The palace in Schwetzingen was built as a summer and hunting palace for the Electors of the Pfalz in the 16th century and later enlarged. In the 18th century a huge park was added.
The central part, as shown in photo 1, is a geometrical garden with parterres and bosquets in the typical baroque style. The outer parts, however, are English landscape gardens with a large number of buildings and attractions.
Schwetzingen is a candidate for the status of UNESCO World Heritage. The administration of the palaces and gardens in Baden-Württemberg have just handed in their application. Let's see.
Official website of Schloss Schwetzingen
In the late 18th century the gardening fashion changed. The baroque principles were abandoned. Instead, gardens now resembled natural landscapes, although they were still carefully designed. Small buildings were placed among trees, meadows and lakes, romantic views created. The buildings are a collection of architectures from all over the world and all eras. You'll discover a mosque, an ancient Roman temple, a medieval castle ruin, a Chinese bridge, an aqueduct, Egyptian sphinxes and many many more. You'll find separate tips about many of them on my pages.
Take your time to explore the park and take in its many surprises. Minimum time: 1 hour for the tour of the palace plus 3 hours for the park.
While the palace and its gardens are the main attraction of Schwetzingen, the centre of the little town deserves a look, too. I'm sorting my tips about the town into "Off the beaten path tips" to separate them from those about the palace.
Website of the municipality of Schwetzingen
Kirschplantage is a large rectangular field north of the Mosque garden which is planted with rows of Japanese... more travel advice
The stag fountain in the central axis marks the end of the baroque parterres. It refers to Schwetzingen's function as... more travel advice
Kathrin_E's Related Pages
Schwetzingen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Palace Gardens - 18th Century Wonderland"
- "THE LITTLE GERMAN GEM"
- "The wonderful garden of Schloss Schwetzingen"
- "Incredible Schwetzingen"
- "Castle of Schwetzingen"
- "Schwetzingen - Where Mozart came..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Schwetzingen
- Hotels in Schwetzingen
- Transportation in Schwetzingen
- Restaurants in Schwetzingen
- Warnings and Dangers in Schwetzingen
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Schwetzingen
- 34 Reviews
- 150 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (93)
Have you been to Schwetzingen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Schwetzingen
Photos in SchwetzingenSee All Photos (150)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Karlsruhe Intro, 119 reviews, 428 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marburg an der Lahn Intro, 78 reviews, 294 photos, 8 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 18 reviews, 273 photos, 25 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuxhaven Intro, 47 reviews, 241 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Konstanz Intro, 47 reviews, 240 photos, 10 travelogues
- Dresden Intro, 46 reviews, 223 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Essen Intro, 43 reviews, 219 photos, 6 travelogues
- Annaberg-Buchholz Intro, 25 reviews, 223 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wismar Intro, 39 reviews, 196 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Landshut Intro, 39 reviews, 191 photos, 4 travelogues