"The Palace Gardens - 18th Century Wonderland" Top 5 Page for this destination Schwetzingen by Kathrin_E
Schwetzingen Travel Guide: 94 reviews and 482 photos
The palace in Schwetzingen was built as a summer and hunting palace for the Electors of the Pfalz in the 16th century and later enlarged. In the 18th century a huge park was added.
The central part is a geometrical garden with parterres and bosquets in the typical baroque style. The outer parts, however, are English landscape gardens with a large number of buildings and attractions.
The main palace is currently undergoing renovations. The interior is closed until summer 2016. Works on the facades and roof are finally finished, as I saw during my recent visit. The scaffolding has been removed. Instead of its previous "mortadella" colour that you will still see in my older photos, the palace is now painted in a pastel shade of apricot that suits it much better.
Schwetzingen is a candidate for the status of UNESCO World Heritage. The administration of the palaces and gardens in Baden-Württemberg are working on their application. Let's see.
Official website of Schloss Schwetzingen
In the late 18th century the gardening fashion changed. The baroque principles were abandoned. Instead, gardens now resembled natural landscapes, although they were still carefully designed. Small buildings were placed among trees, meadows and lakes, romantic views created. The buildings are a collection of architectures from all over the world and all eras. You'll discover a mosque, an ancient Roman temple, a medieval castle ruin, a Chinese bridge, an aqueduct, Egyptian sphinxes and many many more. You'll find separate tips about many of them on my pages. Take your time to explore the park and take in its many surprises.
While the palace and its gardens are the main attraction of Schwetzingen, the centre of the little town deserves a look, too. I'm sorting my tips about the town into "Off the beaten path tips" to separate them from those about the palace.
Website of the municipality of Schwetzingen
"Zum Ritter" is a microbrewery where they brew their own beer. Since we visited for lunch in the middle of the day we... more travel advice
The little Greek-Roman temple is located on the edge of the big circle in the baroque garden in the southwest, on the... more travel advice
Kathrin_E's Related Pages
Schwetzingen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Palace Gardens - 18th Century Wonderland"
- "THE LITTLE GERMAN GEM"
- "The wonderful garden of Schloss Schwetzingen"
- "Incredible Schwetzingen"
- "Castle of Schwetzingen"
- "Schwetzingen - Where Mozart came..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Schwetzingen
- Hotels in Schwetzingen
- Transportation in Schwetzingen
- Restaurants in Schwetzingen
- Warnings and Dangers in Schwetzingen
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Schwetzingen
- 39 Reviews
- 214 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (139)
Have you been to Schwetzingen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Schwetzingen
Photos in SchwetzingenSee All Photos (214)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wroclaw Intro, 100 reviews, 526 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Karlsruhe Intro, 120 reviews, 432 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marburg an der Lahn Intro, 79 reviews, 303 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuxhaven Intro, 48 reviews, 250 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Münster Intro, 46 reviews, 246 photos, 10 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 18 reviews, 273 photos, 25 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Konstanz Intro, 47 reviews, 240 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 46 reviews, 223 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Essen Intro, 43 reviews, 219 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Schwetzingen Intro, 39 reviews, 214 photos, 10 travelogues