"Stade: Small Town Gem With Hanseatic History" Stade by Kathrin_E
Stade Travel Guide: 36 reviews and 189 photos
Stade is a recent discovery of mine - a charming small town which is hardly on anyone's itinerary, it seems. Stade is located on the Southern Elbe bank, about an hour from Hamburg and halfway to Cuxhaven and the North Sea coast.
The town still lives on its past glory when it used to be a respected member of the Hansa and a wealthy merchants town. Its history has seen ups and downs, including a century of Swedish occupation. All eras have left their traces in the old town centre which has been preserved almost unharmed during the wars and the modernizations of the 20th century. The result is an authentic historical centre dominated by brick and timberframe architecture.
In the 1970s the former storage of the Swedish garrison was renovated and turned into a historical museum. Exhibitions... more travel advice
St Wilhadi is one of two large medieval city churches in Stade (the other one being St Cosmae and Damiani, see separate... more travel advice
Written Aug 14, 2013
A Collection of Doors
Written Apr 17, 2015
Evening Impressions around the Old Port
Kathrin_E's Related Pages
Stade Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Stade: Small Town Gem With Hanseatic History"
- "Stade...the town in which I shopped til' I dropped"
- "Brilliant Old River Town"
- "Stade - u/c"
- "A Wombat in Stade"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Stade
- 35 Reviews
- 148 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (135)
Have you been to Stade?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Stade
Top 10 Pages
- Wroclaw Intro, 98 reviews, 516 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Karlsruhe Intro, 120 reviews, 432 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marburg an der Lahn Intro, 79 reviews, 303 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuxhaven Intro, 48 reviews, 250 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Münster Intro, 46 reviews, 246 photos, 10 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 18 reviews, 273 photos, 25 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Konstanz Intro, 47 reviews, 240 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 46 reviews, 223 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Essen Intro, 43 reviews, 219 photos, 6 travelogues
- Annaberg-Buchholz Intro, 25 reviews, 223 photos, 15 travelogues