"Überlingen: Hidden Gem On The Bodensee" Überlingen by Kathrin_E
Überlingen Travel Guide: 14 reviews and 55 photos
Everyone is talking about Meersburg - a few kms West along the banks of the lake you'll find another romantic little town which is hardly known: Überlingen.
The former imperial city still shows traces of its proud past. The photo shows the square named Hofstatt with the town hall and the Münster church in the background.
The tree in the middle of the square indicates that this photo was taken during carnival.
Narrow streets, old houses, hidden paths and stairs up and down the hill offer surprising views. Towering above everything is the Münster church with the big and the small steeple.
Stroll around and try the hidden lanes, you won't lose your way since the church is visible from almost everywhere.
Überlingen is one of the centres of the Alemannic Fastnacht, the regional variety of carnival. These activities date back to the 15th century. Carnival feasts are first mentioned in 1474, in 1496 the city council published a law that ruled customs like wearing devil costumes or receiving the carnival cakes.
The carnival guild (Hänselezunft) is proud of its tradition, which is one of the oldest in Baden-Württemberg. Überlingen is a member of the Viererbund, an association of four old traditional guilds.
My Local customs tips and the travelogues will tell you more about the Überlinger Fastnacht, which is well worth seeing.
The page is part of a much larger project about the Alemannic Fastnacht which includes a general overview on my Land Baden-Württemberg page and individual pages about towns and villages and their Fastnacht specialities.
The largest parade of the Überlinger Fasnet takes place on Carnival Sunday in the afternoon (start 14.30). The route is... more travel advice
Carnival Saturday is the big night when the "Hänselejuck", the night parade of the Hänsele guild, takes place in town.... more travel advice
Written May 19, 2008
Fastnacht in Überlingen
Written Jul 19, 2008
Hänselejuck - Saturday Night Parade
Kathrin_E's Related Pages
Überlingen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Überlingen: Hidden Gem On The Bodensee"
- "Uberlingen - A Pretty town on Lake Konstanz"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Überlingen
- 10 Reviews
- 39 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (131)
Have you been to Überlingen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Überlingen
- Posted in Travel Karlsruhe Forum "Re: Using trams in Karlsruhe"
- Commented on one of aussirose's Überlingen travel pages
- updated a Überlingen Travel Page "Überlingen: Hidden Gem On The Bodensee"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Überlingen: Hidden Gem On The Bodensee"
- Wrote a Review Sunday Afternoon Parade in Überlingen Local Customs
- Uploaded a Video to Überlingen
Photos in ÜberlingenSee All Photos (39)
Videos in ÜberlingenSee All Videos (2)
Top 10 Pages
- Wroclaw Intro, 98 reviews, 516 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Karlsruhe Intro, 120 reviews, 432 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marburg an der Lahn Intro, 79 reviews, 303 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuxhaven Intro, 48 reviews, 250 photos, 10 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 18 reviews, 273 photos, 25 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Konstanz Intro, 47 reviews, 240 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 46 reviews, 223 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Essen Intro, 43 reviews, 219 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Münster Intro, 41 reviews, 218 photos, 10 travelogues
- Annaberg-Buchholz Intro, 25 reviews, 223 photos, 15 travelogues