"Ulm: More Than Just A Steeple" Top 5 Page for this destination Ulm by Kathrin_E
Ulm Travel Guide: 246 reviews and 847 photos
Impressive by day and night: Ulm's Münster church has the highest steeple in the world with a height of 161 m.
The photo was, by the way, taken from the window of my hotel room.
Before 1803 Ulm used to be an imperial city, wealthy from arts and crafts and trade. The citizen's wealth still shows in the city's parish church, i.e. the Münster, the city hall with its painted facades, the merchants' houses in the Fishermen's Quarter.
Unfortunately Ulm, like most German cities and towns, got its share of World War II bombs. I've met many people who think Ulm is boring and there is nothing to see except the church and the steeple - they are wrong. The pretty parts are easy to miss if one doesn't take the right turn, though.
From the train station, the main shopping mall takes you straight to Münster square. The prettiest, best preserved parts of the old town are situated further right, towards the Donau river.
The Fischerviertel (Fishermen's Quarter) is a must see.
The "fishermen" were actually, as their stately houses show, rich merchants who owned the cargo ships running on the Donau.
I'd also like to draw your attention to an 18th century jewel in a suburb of Ulm: the monastery of Wiblingen with its splendid rococo library and classicist church.
The panorama of the proud medieval city is best enjoyed from the opposite river bank, from Neu-Ulm.
Ulm and Neu-Ulm are two separate cities. The former belongs to the federal state of Baden-Württemberg, the latter to Bavaria.
- In a nutshell:You have to know where to find Ulm's beauties.
The Christmas market takes place in Münster square. It is not one of the big tourist markets, rather an 'off the beaten... more travel advice
The tiny gothic chapel next to the huge choir of the Münster church is easily overlooked. It was built in the 15th... more travel advice
Kathrin_E's Related Pages
Ulm Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The World's highest Church Spire and the Sparrows"
- "Medieval Ulm"
- "Ulm: More Than Just A Steeple"
- "Why not the Ülmster?"
- "Opera and canoeing in Ulm"
- "Swabian Gemuetlichkeit"
- "Welcome to Ulm"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ulm
- Hotels in Ulm
- Transportation in Ulm
- Nightlife in Ulm
- Restaurants in Ulm
- Shopping in Ulm
- Warnings and Dangers in Ulm
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ulm
- 34 Reviews
- 99 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (140)
Have you been to Ulm?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ulm
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wroclaw Intro, 100 reviews, 526 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Karlsruhe Intro, 120 reviews, 432 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marburg an der Lahn Intro, 79 reviews, 303 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuxhaven Intro, 48 reviews, 250 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Münster Intro, 46 reviews, 246 photos, 10 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 18 reviews, 273 photos, 25 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Konstanz Intro, 47 reviews, 240 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 46 reviews, 223 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Essen Intro, 43 reviews, 219 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Schwetzingen Intro, 39 reviews, 214 photos, 10 travelogues