Villingen-Schwenningen Local Custom Tips by Kathrin_E
Villingen-Schwenningen Local Customs: 9 reviews and 19 photos
Decorated Narro fountain
The column of the fountain bears the figure of a Narro. On Fasnet the sculpture is decorated with a crown of fir, pine and boxwood twigs and ribbons in the town's heraldic colours, white and blue.
Location: Obere Straße
The Cat Couple on the wagon of the General Staff
There is no sleeping in on Monday morning. The Cat Musicians and the bands of the Glonki guild will wake the town with loud noise at 6 a.m.
At 8 a.m. the Katzenmusik marches into town. The parade includes their leader the Tom Cat, Kater Miau , the general field marshal, the cat couple, Prince Carnival, little tomcat and little general, wagons, bands and several other groups.
Shouting "Meow" will earn you some sweets!
The Cat Musicians do another parade in the late morning, which is joined by several other groups, before they assemble in the square outside the Riettor at noon for their muster.
Morbili and Stachi at the Monday morning parade
The first big parade of the historical Narrozunft begins on Monday morning, 9 a.m. and leads through Niedere Straße and Riedstraße. This is the best occasion to see the traditional costumes and masks with Narro and Stachi, Morbili and Altvillingerin, Butzesel groups and Wuescht. Bring a camera, a spare loaded battery and enough storage cards.
Hint for Photographers: On cloudy days it doesn't matter that much where you stand, but if the morning is sunny, the light in Obere Straße is horrible because you'll have the parade in the shadow of the houses against the sunlight. Best place: Rietstraße close to Riettor, on the Southern side of the street where the little square is - here the parade will be in full sunlight. Come in time and secure your spot.
Links to my travelogue pages with lots of pictures and information:
Traditional figures of the Narrozunft
Historical parade on Monday morning
Butzesel - donkeys and drovers
Narrozunft members in Obere Straße
Before and after the parades a lot of jesters will walk the streets of the town - excellent opportunities for photographers. Stroll around and observe. You'll catch some nice little scenes, and most probably some of the Narros will volunteer to pose for your camera.
Here's a travelogue with more snapshots taken in the streets of Villingen.
Maschgerelauf on Monday afternoon
The Narrozunft is doing a second, shorter parade on Monday in the early afternoon. The Maschgerelauf (from the Italian maschera , mask, an old name for the Narros) begins at Oberes Tor (Upper Gate) and leads along Obere Straße and Rietstraße.
I hope you still have some battery power and storage left in your camera?
See my video of the Narros. They do some kind of hopping walk in order to make their bells all sound in the same rhythm.
The Südstadtclowns (South town clowns) do their own little parade along Niedere Straße and Bickenstraße on Monday morning after the historical parade of the Narrozunft. They add quite some colour to Villingen's Fasnet...
Their salutation: "Heidi" - "Heida"
Leaflet: Narrenfahrplan 2008
What's going on in Villingen during the High Days? Here is a timetable of the main events.
14.00 Children's parade
Thursday, Friday and Saturday night: different balls
14.00 Reception of the Tomcat Miau by the Katzenmusik (Cat Musicians) guild at the Romäusturm
18.00 The Mayor hands over the town hall keys to the guild master. Fasnet rules!
19.00 Glonki guild searching for the Fasnet at the Bickentor
06.00 Waking the town
08.00 Parade of the Cat Musicians
09.00 Historical parade of the Narrozunft along Niedere Straße and Rietstraße
10.15 Parade of the Südtstadtclowns in Niedere Straße
14.15 Maschgerelauf: Parade of the Narrozunft along Obere Straße and Rietstraße
16.30 Parade of the Glonki guild
13.30 Big parade of all guilds
22.30 Catching the Tomcat Miau and returning him into the Romäusturm
24.00 Burning of the straw from the pants of the Wuescht in Münster square
Try to get hold of the leaflet "Narrenfahrplan VS" which contains all events in both Villingen and Schwenningen.
Separate tips and travelogues about some of these events (those I have watched) following.
On Sunday evening at 7 p.m. the Glonki guild meets at the Bickentor, the medieval gate tower facing East, to search for the Fasnet. They run around with torches and look everywhere till finally the gate opens and "the Fasnet", impersonated by their newest members, comes in. Drums and the brass band greet them. The following spectacle involves a lightshow, loud music, a speech from the tower's balcony, shouting the Glonkis' salutation ( "Rhabarber" - "Ahoi" ), and fireworks.
Stand in Bickenstraße inside the old town - from outside the gate you won't see anything. Come early, it will be crowded.
My Glonki travelogue has more details and photos.
Narrozunft: Narro and Morbili
Villingen is one of the oldest and most traditional centres of the alemannic carnival. The local carnival guild (Narrozunft) dates its foundation back to the year 1584. In addition to that there are several other younger guilds who are doing their separate events and parades. Through the High Days there is always something going on in town.
See my travelogue pages for more photos and details.
More Reviews (3)
Kathrin_E's Related Pages
Villingen-Schwenningen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Fastnacht in Villingen"
- "Villingen and more..."
- "Villingen, not Schwenningen"
- "Frischauf mein Bad'ner Land!"
- "Villingen-Schwenningen 2010"
- "such a beautiful city"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Villingen-Schwenningen
- Hotels in Villingen-Schwenningen
- Nightlife in Villingen-Schwenningen
- Restaurants in Villingen-Schwenningen
- Warnings and Dangers in Villingen-Schwenningen
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Villingen-Schwenningen
- 12 Reviews
- 81 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (140)
Have you been to Villingen-Schwenningen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Villingen-Schwenningen
- Posted in Travel Stuttgart Forum "Re: Is there a place to wait..."
- updated a Villingen-Schwenningen Travel Page "Fastnacht in Villingen"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Fastnacht in Villingen"
- Wrote a Review Narrobrunnen - The Narro Fountain in Villingen-Schwenningen Local Customs
- Uploaded a Video to Villingen-Schwenningen
Photos in Villingen-SchwenningenSee All Photos (81)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wroclaw Intro, 100 reviews, 526 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Karlsruhe Intro, 120 reviews, 432 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marburg an der Lahn Intro, 79 reviews, 303 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuxhaven Intro, 48 reviews, 250 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Münster Intro, 46 reviews, 246 photos, 10 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 18 reviews, 273 photos, 25 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Konstanz Intro, 47 reviews, 240 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 46 reviews, 223 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Essen Intro, 43 reviews, 219 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Schwetzingen Intro, 39 reviews, 214 photos, 10 travelogues