"Fastnacht in Villingen" Villingen-Schwenningen by Kathrin_E
Villingen-Schwenningen Travel Guide: 19 reviews and 115 photos
The Narrozunft (carnival guild) in Villingen dates its foundation to the year 1584. This makes Villingen one of the traditional centres of the alemannic Fastnacht or, in regional dialect, "Fasnet". I'll be using both terms as synonymes.
The focus of this travel page is directed to the Villinger Fasnet, which is a not-to-be-missed occasion to visit this pretty old town and enjoy a very special experience - and, it seems, so far unknown to VT world.
The page is part of a much larger project about the Alemannic Fastnacht which includes a general overview on my Land Baden-Württemberg page and individual pages about towns and villages and their Fastnacht specialities. This one is the first to be completed.
Fasnet tips what to see when and where are to be found in the Local customs section.
As I mentioned on my homepage, I'm a photography addict. See my Best of Villinger Fastnacht collection on the (so far) seven travelogue pages. The travelogues also provide more background information as supplement to the tips.
The community of Villingen-Schwenningen actually consists of two separate towns. In the 1970s the administration reform forced two towns with very different history - catholic Austrian Villingen and protestant Württembergish Schwenningen - to unite. Both sides weren't too happy about it...
The old town of Villingen still shows the medieval ground plan with two wide market streets crossing. The town wall and three of the four gate towers are well preserved. The side streets show the typical South German stone houses.
The Münster church, the town's parish, consists of a Romanesque structure with Gothic additions. The church, hardly visible from the main streets, is situated in a quiet square.
The column of the fountain bears the figure of a Narro. On Fasnet the sculpture is decorated with a crown of fir, pine... more travel advice
Before and after the parades a lot of jesters will walk the streets of the town - excellent opportunities for... more travel advice
Kathrin_E's Related Pages
Villingen-Schwenningen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Fastnacht in Villingen"
- "Villingen and more..."
- "Villingen, not Schwenningen"
- "Frischauf mein Bad'ner Land!"
- "Villingen-Schwenningen 2010"
- "such a beautiful city"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Villingen-Schwenningen
- Hotels in Villingen-Schwenningen
- Nightlife in Villingen-Schwenningen
- Restaurants in Villingen-Schwenningen
- Warnings and Dangers in Villingen-Schwenningen
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Villingen-Schwenningen
- 12 Reviews
- 81 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (80)
Have you been to Villingen-Schwenningen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Villingen-Schwenningen
Photos in Villingen-SchwenningenSee All Photos (81)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Karlsruhe Intro, 118 reviews, 422 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marburg an der Lahn Intro, 78 reviews, 294 photos, 8 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 18 reviews, 273 photos, 25 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Konstanz Intro, 47 reviews, 240 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Essen Intro, 43 reviews, 219 photos, 6 travelogues
- Annaberg-Buchholz Intro, 25 reviews, 223 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wismar Intro, 39 reviews, 196 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Landshut Intro, 39 reviews, 191 photos, 4 travelogues
- Dresden Intro, 37 reviews, 190 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Münster Intro, 37 reviews, 188 photos, 9 travelogues