"Weesenstein" Weesenstein by Kathrin_E
Weesenstein Travel Guide: 48 reviews and 149 photos
Weesenstein Palace, situated on a rock in a river bend, is the small place's main attraction. Built by local nobility and extended agan and again in the run of centuries, it later became property and favourite palace of the Kings of Saxony.
Beyond the palace a lovely baroque garden extends at the bottom of the valley. Everything is green, clean and flowering again.
Watching closely you'll notice that the garden walls look very new and the young linden trees in the back part were only recently planted. What happened?
This board on the river bank recalls the probably worst day in Weesenstein's history which has left deep scars in the village.
On August 12, 2002, extremely heavy rainfalls hit a part of the Ore Mountains and caused unexpected floodings within a few hours. Statistics mention more than 300 litres per square metre IN ONE DAY. The water level of the Müglitz, actually a tiny stream running through the village and the palace gardens, rose several metres. The flood wave devastated the gardens, then hit the steep slope opposite of the palace and crashed through the centre of the village. The whole village was flooded, the main road, the bridge, the train tracks, and, worst, quite a number of houses were destroyed.
Everyone who watched the German news in those days will recall the pictures of one single wall still standing in the middle of the flood, the only piece that was left of a destroyed house - and two people sitting on top of this wall. These two were rescued by a helicopter. Further down, though, a couple died when their house collapsed.
A lot of people in Weesenstein lost everything in the flood. Most of the demolished houses have not been rebuilt. The empty spaces on the river banks cannot be overlooked.
Who'd think that such an innocent-looking little stream was capable of causing a disaster like the one of August... more travel advice
Disaster struck on August 12/13, 2002 when, after heavy rainfalls in the Ore Mountains, the little Müglitz stream turned... more travel advice
Kathrin_E's Related Pages
Weesenstein Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Fairy Tales Come True in Weesenstein"
- "Weesenstein and its castle"
- "Königliche Schlossküche zu Wesenstein"
- "Cheers Richie!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Weesenstein
- Hotels in Weesenstein
- Transportation in Weesenstein
- Nightlife in Weesenstein
- Restaurants in Weesenstein
- Shopping in Weesenstein
- Warnings and Dangers in Weesenstein
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Weesenstein
- 16 Reviews
- 42 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (91)
Have you been to Weesenstein?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Weesenstein
Top 10 Pages
- Wroclaw Intro, 98 reviews, 516 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Karlsruhe Intro, 120 reviews, 431 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marburg an der Lahn Intro, 79 reviews, 303 photos, 8 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 18 reviews, 273 photos, 25 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuxhaven Intro, 47 reviews, 241 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Konstanz Intro, 47 reviews, 240 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 46 reviews, 223 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Essen Intro, 43 reviews, 219 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Münster Intro, 41 reviews, 218 photos, 10 travelogues
- Annaberg-Buchholz Intro, 25 reviews, 223 photos, 15 travelogues