"Kalgoorlie-Boulder: Dreaming of the Big One" Top 5 Page for this destination Kalgoorlie by Kathrin_E

Kalgoorlie Travel Guide: 256 reviews and 693 photos

The Golden Mile

When Paddy Hannan and his mates pitched their tent underneath a gum tree on June 15, 1893, they discovered one of the richest gold ressources ever fond: the Golden Mile. Within a few weeks the area buzzed with swarms of gold seekers.
The town of Kalgoorlie-Boulder was born out of nothing. The buildings in Hannan Street and Burt Street, the main streets of the two towns, still tell of Gold rush times a hundred years ago. The architecture is a mix of Wild West and Victorian historism.

Gold, Gold, Gold...

"The best things in life are dirty,
and nothing in life
is better to hold
than dirty gold..."

These lines from a song in an old Western movie sounded in my ears while I was there. Gold prospecting and gold mining is, and has always been, a dirty, sweaty and dangerous job. Many dreamed of the big find, a few succeeded, many failed. All for a bit of yellow metal...

In case anyone is interested... The song is from the musical "Paint Your Wagon" and here you can listen to it.

Gold Mining Today: the Superpit

Gold mining continues. The Golden Mile is now exploited thoroughly, not a single piece of rock remains unturned.

The Superpit, the largest man-made hole on Earth, is a place of superlatives. This is a tyre I'm sitting on that once belonged to a monster mining truck.

• Last visit to Kalgoorlie: Apr 2008
  • Intro Updated May 6, 2011

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    May 6, 2011 at 11:28 AM

The best things in life are dirty . . . I've never heard that one, but you've done interesting tips on this historical place, with fine photos. I suppose those road trains are all right for Australia, but I hope we don't get them here in Germany.

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Nov 20, 2009 at 4:29 AM

Great page about a unique place. You certainly got around our big state. leyle

• iwys's Profile Photo
    Nov 21, 2008 at 12:04 AM

Very nice tips and photos. I was there 20 years ago and it doesn't seem to have changed much. Although I'm told that the dirt road which led there from Perth now has a tarmac surface.

• australia2's Profile Photo
    Nov 7, 2008 at 12:25 AM

Absolutely superb pages Kathrin. Especially the Kalgoorlie ones. A perhaps short but productive visit. I've just been re-watching my home video of the 'Pit' activities. Fascinating. Hearty congrats and nice to 'meet' you.Come over east next time. Laurie.

• Basaic's Profile Photo
    Jun 26, 2008 at 1:19 PM

Very nice page. You have done a lot since December.

• Jun 17, 2008 at 5:35 AM

Nice page!

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Jun 4, 2008 at 11:11 AM

I've been to Kalgoorlie many years ago but didn't do much sightseeing. Once the train stopped there for a meal break and the second time we drove here on the way to the nullabor.

Kathrin_E

“Life is too short to drink bad wine.”

Badges & Stats in Kalgoorlie

Have you been to Kalgoorlie?

Latest Activity in Kalgoorlie