Wismar Off The Beaten Path Tips by Kathrin_E Top 5 Page for this destination
Wismar Off The Beaten Path: 2 reviews and 9 photos
Water tower and Lindengarten entrance
The grounds of the former Swedish fortification on the eastern side of the old town was planted with linden trees and turned into a park in 1815. The paths along the moat and the pond are a place to rest and have a picnic.
There is history here, too. A tower than once belonged to the 15th century fortification is still guarding the entrance to the park. In 1682 a whim was built next to it and from then till the 19th century the tower was used as a water tower for the town’s water supply.
On the opposite side of the street, note the clock with a historical advertisement for a well-known washing detergent.
The arsenal is a remarkable example of baroque military architecture. It was built by the Swedes (who possessed Wismar from 1648 to 1803) after the old arsenal had exploded in 1699. Nowadays the building hosts the town library.
More Reviews (37)
Kathrin_E's Related Pages
Wismar Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Old hanse town in the east"
- "Hansa City Wismar"
- "A short visit to Wismar"
- "Wistful about Wismar"
- "A ray of light"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Wismar
- Hotels in Wismar
- Transportation in Wismar
- Restaurants in Wismar
- Shopping in Wismar
- Warnings and Dangers in Wismar
- See All...
Explore the World
- Tomales Bay State Park Hotels
- Spring Lake Park Hotels
- Tri-Lakes Hotels
- Shawnee Hotels
- Pulau Tekong
- Staten Island
Badges & Stats in Wismar
- 39 Reviews
- 196 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (78)
Have you been to Wismar?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Wismar
- Posted in Travel Tallinn Forum "Re: Day trip without car"
- updated a Wismar Travelogue "Harbour view at 4 a.m. in the Morning"
- Commented on one of CatherineReichardt's Wismar travel pages
- Wrote a Review Nice place in convenient location in Wismar Hotels
- Uploaded a Photo to "Harbour view at 4 a.m. in the Morning"
Photos in WismarSee All Photos (196)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Karlsruhe Intro, 118 reviews, 427 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marburg an der Lahn Intro, 78 reviews, 294 photos, 8 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 18 reviews, 273 photos, 25 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Konstanz Intro, 47 reviews, 240 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Essen Intro, 43 reviews, 219 photos, 6 travelogues
- Annaberg-Buchholz Intro, 25 reviews, 223 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wismar Intro, 39 reviews, 196 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Landshut Intro, 39 reviews, 191 photos, 4 travelogues
- Dresden Intro, 37 reviews, 190 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Münster Intro, 37 reviews, 188 photos, 9 travelogues