"Wolfach in the Heart of the Black Forest" Wolfach by Kathrin_E
Wolfach Travel Guide: 15 reviews and 146 photos
Wolfach is located in the middle of the Black Forest where the valleys are narrowest and steepest. For centuries it was property of the Counts of Fürstenberg who built the castle as residence of a sideline. Wolfach developed as market town but it never grew very big.
The Kinzig valley is the largest valley in the Black Forest. Geographically it divides the mountain range into the Northern and the Southern Black Forest. Since ancient times this valley has been a major West-Eastern route through the mountains.
The steep slopes do not allow much agriculture. The wood from the forests was the base of the economy. Many citizens used to make a living from rafting timber down Kinzig river to the cities and towns on the Rhine and selling it there.
There is a lot of beautiful landscape around Wolfach. This region is great for hiking, but take into consideration that the hills are steep and you will face quite some ascents and descents. Being at least moderately trained helps a lot.
The highest holiday in Wolfach is Fastnacht (carnival). The town is busy with events for several days in a row. In 2011 I got to see at least a part of it: the Monday parade and the play.
Wolfach is one of the busiest places in the Alemannic Fastnacht: In the run of eight days they have twelve parades in... more travel advice
This is all older men's dream, right? A mill they can put their old women through and turn them into young girls. The... more travel advice
Kathrin_E's Related Pages
Wolfach Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Wolfach
- 15 Reviews
- 115 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (90)
Have you been to Wolfach?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Wolfach
Photos in WolfachSee All Photos (115)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Karlsruhe Intro, 119 reviews, 432 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marburg an der Lahn Intro, 78 reviews, 294 photos, 8 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 18 reviews, 273 photos, 25 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuxhaven Intro, 47 reviews, 241 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Konstanz Intro, 47 reviews, 240 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 46 reviews, 223 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Essen Intro, 43 reviews, 219 photos, 6 travelogues
- Annaberg-Buchholz Intro, 25 reviews, 223 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wismar Intro, 39 reviews, 196 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Landshut Intro, 39 reviews, 191 photos, 4 travelogues