"Würzburg: Bishops, Professors and Bocksbeutel" Top 5 Page for this destination Würzburg by Kathrin_E

Würzburg Travel Guide: 385 reviews and 1,278 photos

Würzburg, the centre of lower Franconia, has been the seat of a Bishop since the early middle ages - it is a very catholic town. It is also the seat of a renowned old university, and thousands of students make any town young and lively. The hills around the Main valley with the fortress opposite the old town and the surrounding vineyards and forests form a pretty landscape.

Unfortunately one single air raid in World War II smashed 90% of the old town within 20 minutes. Hence little of the historical architecture is really authentic. However, the old town has been rebuilt well. Würzburg is a charming place.

This spring I stayed in Würzburg for six days in a row. I was attending a big art history congress. Apart from lectures this congress, due to its subject, also involved some museum visits and guided tours. Besides, the spring weather was simply too gorgeous to spend the whole day in a dark lecture hall, so I escaped now and then to go sightseeing. And I granted myself an extra day.

I did not run out of things to do, could have filled even more time. Würzburg is fine for a day trip, but staying longer than just a day is an even better idea.

• Last visit to Würzburg: Mar 2011
  • Intro Updated Apr 11, 2011

• Trikist's Profile Photo
    Dec 16, 2011 at 7:49 AM

Kathrin, Revisited this page after your link on Fodor's. It was a nice incentive to return to Würzburg, which I am doing this coming spring. Your pictures of St. Josef had me almost homesick. Made a reservation there. Thanks again for the great work that you do on these pages. Regards, Gary

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Oct 7, 2011 at 12:51 PM

Hi Kathrin, it’s great that you had a six-day art history congress in Würzburg. Fine photos in your travelogues and tips! I think it was a good idea to do a tip on the Bocksbeutel bottles, since I think a lot of people don’t know about them or at least don’t know about the restrictions on their use.

• aaaarrgh's Profile Photo
    Jul 25, 2011 at 7:10 PM

Fabulous tips, Kathrin, well done! I've got a long list of things to do when I next visit the city!

• german_eagle's Profile Photo
    Jul 19, 2011 at 11:09 AM

Outstanding information. All that wine and tasting ... yum. Probably the only city where it's fun to be in a hospital :-) Interesting post-war architecture in that protestant church!

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Apr 17, 2011 at 8:10 AM

The "Häcker" is indeed very cute :-)

• mustertal's Profile Photo
    Apr 2, 2011 at 3:14 PM

We camped just outside Wurzburg on our way to Pilsen, there are some pretty villages in that area.

Kathrin_E

“Life is too short to drink bad wine.”

Badges & Stats in Würzburg

Have you been to Würzburg?