"Würzburg: Bishops, Professors and Bocksbeutel" Top 5 Page for this destination Würzburg by Kathrin_E
Würzburg Travel Guide: 384 reviews and 1,277 photos
Würzburg, the centre of lower Franconia, has been the seat of a Bishop since the early middle ages - it is a very catholic town. It is also the seat of a renowned old university, and thousands of students make any town young and lively. The hills around the Main valley with the fortress opposite the old town and the surrounding vineyards and forests form a pretty landscape.
Unfortunately one single air raid in World War II smashed 90% of the old town within 20 minutes. Hence little of the historical architecture is really authentic. However, the old town has been rebuilt well. Würzburg is a charming place.
This spring I stayed in Würzburg for six days in a row. I was attending a big art history congress. Apart from lectures this congress, due to its subject, also involved some museum visits and guided tours. Besides, the spring weather was simply too gorgeous to spend the whole day in a dark lecture hall, so I escaped now and then to go sightseeing. And I granted myself an extra day.
I did not run out of things to do, could have filled even more time. Würzburg is fine for a day trip, but staying longer than just a day is an even better idea.
St Josef is a convenient middle class hotel. It is run by an Italian family who has been living in Würzburg for decades.... more travel advice
There are two ways to climb Marienberg on foot. The straight short way up the northeastern slope (in the plan: the red... more travel advice
Kathrin_E's Related Pages
Würzburg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Würzburg: the home of Tiepolo's masterpieces"
- "Würzburg: Bishops, Professors and Bocksbeutel"
- "Opera and cycling in Würzburg"
- "Wurzburg - Historic Town On The Main River"
- "Wurzburg and it's magnificent Residence"
- "The Head of the Romantique Strasse"
- "Wuerzburg for wine........"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Würzburg
- Hotels in Würzburg
- Transportation in Würzburg
- Nightlife in Würzburg
- Restaurants in Würzburg
- Shopping in Würzburg
- Warnings and Dangers in Würzburg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Würzburg
- 30 Reviews
- 176 Photos
- 11 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (93)
Have you been to Würzburg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Würzburg
- Posted in Travel Frankfurt Forum "Re: Weekend trip"
- Wrote a Review Decent middle class hotel in... in Würzburg Hotels
- Uploaded a Photo to "Decent middle class hotel in convenient location"
- updated a Würzburg Travelogue "The Local Sense of Humour: A Collection"
- Commented on one of leics's Würzburg travel pages
Photos in WürzburgSee All Photos (176)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Karlsruhe Intro, 119 reviews, 428 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marburg an der Lahn Intro, 78 reviews, 294 photos, 8 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 18 reviews, 273 photos, 25 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuxhaven Intro, 47 reviews, 241 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Konstanz Intro, 47 reviews, 240 photos, 10 travelogues
- Dresden Intro, 46 reviews, 223 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Essen Intro, 43 reviews, 219 photos, 6 travelogues
- Annaberg-Buchholz Intro, 25 reviews, 223 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wismar Intro, 39 reviews, 196 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Landshut Intro, 39 reviews, 191 photos, 4 travelogues