"Wissembourg" Top 5 Page for this destination Wissembourg by Kathrin_E
Wissembourg Travel Guide: 77 reviews and 361 photos
Wissembourg, Weißenburg in German, is situated just beyond the French-German border. The history of the town is German (well, there was no Germany in those times, so let’s say part of the Holy Roman Empire) until the late 17th century, then it became French property. Further on the government changed a couple of times. The changes of history have left their marks. Like in most of Alsace, the culture is a mix of French and German-Alsatian although French has become the predominant language. The cuisine has adopted the best of both…
The roots of the town lie in the early middle ages with the foundation of the Benedictine monastery, a free imperial abbey with a lot of influence and wealth. Later on the town developed around the abbey.
The small old town is very well kept and its inhabitants, and its tourist office, have a sense of beauty and romanticism… Old houses, flowers, the little river, narrow bridges… certain views can be called a romantic overkill. Don’t forget your camera…
The town is rather small, however, and the main attractions can be seen in half a day. Add time for lunch and a coffee break, a leisurely stroll and a rest on a bench on the ramparts, and you have a perfect day trip destination.
A tiny picture but of great significance in the world of art history: The little round stained glass piece with the face... more travel advice
Under Napoleon, France occupied the entire left bank of the Rhine, so Schweigen became French. The Napoleon Fountain... more travel advice
Kathrin_E's Related Pages
Wissembourg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "WISSEMBOURG - WELCOME TO THE ALSACE"
- "Welcome to WISSEMBOURG"
- "Wissembourg - lovely gem of L'Alsace"
- "Bienvenue à Wissembourg!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Wissembourg
- Hotels in Wissembourg
- Transportation in Wissembourg
- Restaurants in Wissembourg
- Shopping in Wissembourg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Wissembourg
- 30 Reviews
- 180 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (94)
Have you been to Wissembourg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Wissembourg
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Karlsruhe Intro, 119 reviews, 428 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marburg an der Lahn Intro, 78 reviews, 294 photos, 8 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 18 reviews, 273 photos, 25 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuxhaven Intro, 47 reviews, 241 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Konstanz Intro, 47 reviews, 240 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 46 reviews, 223 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Essen Intro, 43 reviews, 219 photos, 6 travelogues
- Annaberg-Buchholz Intro, 25 reviews, 223 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wismar Intro, 39 reviews, 196 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Landshut Intro, 39 reviews, 191 photos, 4 travelogues