"Augsburg: Rich And Proud Imperial City" Top 5 Page for this destination Augsburg by Kathrin_E
Augsburg Travel Guide: 225 reviews and 550 photos
Together with Nürnberg, Augsburg was the richest and most powerful city in the whole Holy Roman Empire. The splendour of Augsburg's proud past still shows in the streets of the old town.
The old town is larger than you think. Take your time, there is a lot of walking to do if you want to do the city justice and see more than the usual Romantic Road tourist who 'does' the Fuggerei and the Golden Hall and then back on the tour bus.
+++ PAGE UNDER CONSTRUCTION +++
The last weekend in August is the opening day of the "Plärrer", Augsburg's annual big Volksfest. To be honest, I had no idea what was going on in town till I heard some oompah-oompah music and went to see what it was - so I stumbled upon the opening parade.
Are you dreaming of the Oktoberfest in Munich? Well, here's an alternative which is just as "Bavarian")* without skyrocketing hotel prices and tourist crowds!
)* Footnote, before the Swabians beat me up... Of course, Augsburg and surroundings geographically and culturally belong to the landscape of Swabia, not Bavaria. There are certain differences in culture, language etc. between this region and the "real Bavaria" which are emphasized and valued high by the locals. On the other hand, since the former imperial city of Augsburg became property of Bavaria in 1805/06, a lot of Bavarian customs and habits have been adopted. So take the "Bavarian" experience with a grain of salt and admire the citizens of proud independent Fugger-time Augsburg in their beautiful 16th century costumes who are taking part in the parade.
Walking along Bahnhofstraße from or towards the station, have a look at the facades here and there. The late 19th and... more travel advice
The old town of Augsburg can be walked. You can reach all main sights and the train station on foot. Do not, however,... more travel advice
Kathrin_E's Related Pages
Augsburg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The city of the Fuggers, Mozart and Brecht"
- "Opera in Augsburg"
- "Augsburg: Rich And Proud Imperial City"
- "Welcome to AUGSBURG"
- "Augsburg- one of the oldest German cities"
- "City of Fountains and Roadworks."
- "WELCOME TO MY AUGSBURG PAGE......:-)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Augsburg
- Hotels in Augsburg
- Transportation in Augsburg
- Nightlife in Augsburg
- Restaurants in Augsburg
- Shopping in Augsburg
- Warnings and Dangers in Augsburg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Augsburg
- 13 Reviews
- 82 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (136)
Have you been to Augsburg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Augsburg
Photos in AugsburgSee All Photos (82)
Top 10 Pages
- Wroclaw Intro, 98 reviews, 516 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Karlsruhe Intro, 120 reviews, 432 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marburg an der Lahn Intro, 79 reviews, 303 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuxhaven Intro, 48 reviews, 250 photos, 10 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 18 reviews, 273 photos, 25 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Konstanz Intro, 47 reviews, 240 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 46 reviews, 223 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Essen Intro, 43 reviews, 219 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Münster Intro, 41 reviews, 218 photos, 10 travelogues
- Annaberg-Buchholz Intro, 25 reviews, 223 photos, 15 travelogues