"Augustusburg Palace on a Very Rainy Day" Augustusburg by Kathrin_E

Augustusburg Travel Guide: 19 reviews and 112 photos

Augustusburg palace appeared in lectures about Renaissance architecture in Germany during my art history studies at regular intervals: every time my professor did a class or lecture about the development of the early modern palace. Now that I visited the area, of course I had to see it.

The day we chose was far from perfect, though. It was grey and overcast with a mix of drizzle, rain, heavy rain and few short dry intervals in between. Landscape views were limited, and the hike from the train station up to the castle on a steep forest trail - we could not take the funicular up because the thing does not run on Monday mornings - was far from funny.

Anyway, the palace kept us busy for most of the day. There is the building and there are some rooms with various murals, and the palace chapel which was of special importance to me for study-related reasons (I won't bother you with details).

Apart from all that, the palace complex contains several museums about various topics - they are described one by one in the Things to do tip section.

My favourite was the carriage museum in the stable wing, which presents an assortment of about any kind of vehicle that was drawn by horses in the 18th and 19th century. Among them are some beautiful state carriages like this one.

• Last visit to Augustusburg: Sep 2011
  • Intro Updated Sep 23, 2016

• King_Golo's Profile Photo
    Jun 16, 2016 at 3:53 AM

Thanks for an excellent page about Augustusburg! I wonder, though, why both of us were the first to write about Augustusburg? My page is not listed in "your" Augustusburg travel guide, neither is yours listed in "mine". The map points at exactly the same place - bizarre.

• Kathrin_E's Profile Photo
      Jun 16, 2016 at 3:58 AM

Now this is really strange. Augustusburg is listed twice indeed.

• german_eagle's Profile Photo
    Sep 28, 2011 at 10:44 AM

Und was schreibe ich jetzt noch? LOL - fantastic page, nothing to add. Oh yeah, that hike uphill ... :-) But it was a good day, all in all, wasn't it?

Kathrin_E

“Life is too short to drink bad wine.”

Badges & Stats in Augustusburg

Have you been to Augustusburg?