"Augustusburg Palace on a Very Rainy Day" Augustusburg by Kathrin_E
Augustusburg Travel Guide: 19 reviews and 112 photos
Augustusburg palace appeared in lectures about Renaissance architecture in Germany during my art history studies at regular intervals: every time my professor did a class or lecture about the development of the early modern palace. Now that I visited the area, of course I had to see it.
The day we chose was far from perfect, though. It was grey and overcast with a mix of drizzle, rain, heavy rain and few short dry intervals in between. Landscape views were limited, and the hike from the train station up to the castle on a steep forest trail - we could not take the funicular up because the thing does not run on Monday mornings - was far from funny.
Anyway, the palace kept us busy for most of the day. There is the building and there are some rooms with various murals, and the palace chapel which was of special importance to me for study-related reasons (I won't bother you with details).
Apart from all that, the palace complex contains several museums about various topics - they are described one by one in the Things to do tip section.
My favourite was the carriage museum in the stable wing, which presents an assortment of about any kind of vehicle that was drawn by horses in the 18th and 19th century. Among them are some beautiful state carriages like this one.
The prominent location on the hilltop was already occupied in the middle ages. The Knights of Schellenberg built their... more travel advice
A visit to Augustusburg can easily fill most of a day. The palace complex contains several museums and other... more travel advice
Kathrin_E's Related Pages
Augustusburg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Augustusburg Palace on a Very Rainy Day"
- "A Wombat in Augustusburg Palace"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Augustusburg
- Transportation in Augustusburg
- Restaurants in Augustusburg
- Warnings and Dangers in Augustusburg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Augustusburg
- 19 Reviews
- 81 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (135)
Have you been to Augustusburg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Augustusburg
- Posted in Travel Nottingham Forum "Re: Best restaurants in..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Guided Tour: Palace Chapel"
- updated a Augustusburg Travel Page "Augustusburg Palace on a Very Rainy Day"
- Commented on one of Kathrin_E's Augustusburg travel pages
- Wrote a Review Augustusburg Palace: History about Augustusburg Palace in Augustusburg Things to Do
Photos in AugustusburgSee All Photos (81)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wroclaw Intro, 100 reviews, 526 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Karlsruhe Intro, 120 reviews, 432 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marburg an der Lahn Intro, 79 reviews, 303 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuxhaven Intro, 48 reviews, 250 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Münster Intro, 46 reviews, 246 photos, 10 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 18 reviews, 273 photos, 25 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Konstanz Intro, 47 reviews, 240 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 46 reviews, 223 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Essen Intro, 43 reviews, 219 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Schwetzingen Intro, 39 reviews, 214 photos, 10 travelogues