"Bad Doberan" Bad Doberan by Kathrin_E
Bad Doberan Travel Guide: 9 reviews and 82 photos
According to legends Duke Heinrich Borwin I. of Mecklenburg had vowed the foundation of a monastery in the very spot where the first stag would be killed on the next hunting trip. While the hunting pasty were still discussing the suitability of the location, a swan flew by and called, "dobr, dobr" - the Slavic word for "good". Stag and swan are depicted in the town's crest. Sculptures of the swan, wearing a crown round his neck, can be seen in front of and inside the church.
In 1186 Cistercian monks founded the abbey, which is the core of today's town. Their church is one of the most remarkable examples of brick gothic on the Baltic Sea coast.
In the late 18th century Doberan became the summer residence of the Granddukes of Mecklenburg. Many buildings in the town centre are from those times.
Bad Doberan's second famous attraction is "the Molli", a historical narrow gauge steam train that runs right through the streets of the town and then on to the seaside resorts of Heiligendamm and Kühlungsborn.
The Granddukes of Mecklenburg and their court spent their summers in Bad Doberan and in the seaside resort of... more travel advice
In the late 18th century the Dukes of Mecklenburg chose Doberan as their summer residence and erected Germany's first... more travel advice
Kathrin_E's Related Pages
Bad Doberan Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bad Doberan"
- "Bad Doberan"
- "A trip on the Mollibahn"
- "My Bad Doberan"
- "BAD DOBERAN TO KÜHLUNGSBORN"
- "A Wombat in Bad Doberan"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bad Doberan
- Transportation in Bad Doberan
- Warnings and Dangers in Bad Doberan
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Bad Doberan
- 6 Reviews
- 39 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (80)
Have you been to Bad Doberan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bad Doberan
Photos in Bad DoberanSee All Photos (39)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Karlsruhe Intro, 118 reviews, 422 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marburg an der Lahn Intro, 78 reviews, 294 photos, 8 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 18 reviews, 273 photos, 25 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Konstanz Intro, 47 reviews, 240 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Essen Intro, 43 reviews, 219 photos, 6 travelogues
- Annaberg-Buchholz Intro, 25 reviews, 223 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wismar Intro, 39 reviews, 196 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Landshut Intro, 39 reviews, 191 photos, 4 travelogues
- Dresden Intro, 37 reviews, 190 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Münster Intro, 37 reviews, 188 photos, 9 travelogues