"Baden-Baden" Top 5 Page for this destination Baden-Baden by Kathrin_E
Baden-Baden Travel Guide: 195 reviews and 588 photos
The healing powers of the hot springs were already known to the ancient Romans who named the place "Aquae" - waters. In the 19th century Baden-Baden became the summer capital of Europe where the powerful, the rich and the important (and those who wanted to be) met for the holidays.
The late 19th century, the belle epoque, has formed the appearance of the town till today: elegant hotels and villas, the parks along the river Oos and Lichtenthaler Allee, the spa hall and the casino, upscale shops...
One can spend a lot of money in Baden-Baden. On the other hand, the atmosphere, the walk along the river and through the lovely parks, people-watching in town, sampling the water from the hot spring, all this is free, so Baden-Baden has something to offer for the shoestring traveller, too.
In the late middle ages the castle named Baden (the ruins now known as Hohenbaden) became the centre and residence of the Marggraves who named themselves after the castle. When the house of Baden split up in two lines, the one that stayed here named itself "Baden-Baden", the other one "Baden-Durlach" (later the founders of Karlsruhe).
The town's name remained "Baden" until people noticed that they were frequently mixed up with the just as famous spa of Baden bei Wien in Austria. The resolution was made to use the Marggraves' name of "Baden-Baden" from then on to distinguish the towns.
By the way, my dear victims of abbreviationitis, allow me to mention that "BB" is NOT a common code for Baden-Baden among locals - BB is the car number plate of Böblingen, a town near Stuttgart.
Icecream of excellent quality and taste. The place is located along the 'tourist highway' from Leopoldsplatz into the... more travel advice
Climbing Merkurberg can be done easily by funicular. It runs every 8-15 minutes depending on demand. Return fare is 4 €.... more travel advice
- See All Mark Twain On Baden-Baden
- Do not walk from the train station into...
- See All "City Train"
- See All Ancient Roman Sculpture. The Giant Rider
Kathrin_E's Related Pages
Baden-Baden Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Baden-Baden - not just for the rich"
- "THE SPA TOWN OF ROSES"
- "Baden-Baden, A German Paradise"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Baden-Baden
- Hotels in Baden-Baden
- Transportation in Baden-Baden
- Nightlife in Baden-Baden
- Restaurants in Baden-Baden
- Shopping in Baden-Baden
- Warnings and Dangers in Baden-Baden
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Baden-Baden
- 38 Reviews
- 156 Photos
- 11 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (93)
Have you been to Baden-Baden?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Baden-Baden
Photos in Baden-BadenSee All Photos (156)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Karlsruhe Intro, 119 reviews, 428 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marburg an der Lahn Intro, 78 reviews, 294 photos, 8 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 18 reviews, 273 photos, 25 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuxhaven Intro, 47 reviews, 241 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Konstanz Intro, 47 reviews, 240 photos, 10 travelogues
- Dresden Intro, 46 reviews, 223 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Essen Intro, 43 reviews, 219 photos, 6 travelogues
- Annaberg-Buchholz Intro, 25 reviews, 223 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wismar Intro, 39 reviews, 196 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Landshut Intro, 39 reviews, 191 photos, 4 travelogues