"Bautzen on a Gorgeous Winter's Day" Bautzen by Kathrin_E
Bautzen Travel Guide: 94 reviews and 461 photos
Bautzen is another of those many interesting small towns in Saxony. It gained a rather negative fame during the Third Reich and the DDR as seat of a prison for political convicts. Apart from that, however, Bautzen has a pretty old town with impressive walls and towers. Neglected during Socialism, it was decaying but at least preserved. In the meantime most of it has been well restored and the old town has become a hidden gem.
Located on the railway line between Dresden and Görlitz, Bautzen makes an easy day trip from either. And a very worthwhile one. Special thanks to our local expert for showing me round! Having a competent private guide helps such a lot, even more so if the guide is a personal friend.
However, in one day one cannot see everything the town has to offer, so my tips are far from complete. I'd like to go back in a different season. My To-do-list for a second visit would include:
- the prison memorial
- the Sorbian museum
- climbing the steeple of the Dom
When arriving in Bautzen you'll notice quickly that the town has two names, Bautzen and Budyšin. Many signs are... more travel advice
The "Sorbian" churchyard is exposed outside the town walls. It forms a platform high above the river with splendid... more travel advice
Kathrin_E's Related Pages
Bautzen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bautzen / Budyšin"
- "Bautzen on a Gorgeous Winter's Day"
- "Transcending Expectations in Bautzen"
- "Bautzen - A Beautiful and Historic City"
- "A Wombat in Bautzen"
- "Budziszyn / Bautzen 17 September 2011"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bautzen
- Transportation in Bautzen
- Restaurants in Bautzen
- Shopping in Bautzen
- Warnings and Dangers in Bautzen
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Bautzen
- 20 Reviews
- 135 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (80)
Have you been to Bautzen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bautzen
Photos in BautzenSee All Photos (135)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Karlsruhe Intro, 118 reviews, 422 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marburg an der Lahn Intro, 78 reviews, 294 photos, 8 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 18 reviews, 273 photos, 25 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Konstanz Intro, 47 reviews, 240 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Essen Intro, 43 reviews, 219 photos, 6 travelogues
- Annaberg-Buchholz Intro, 25 reviews, 223 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wismar Intro, 39 reviews, 196 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Landshut Intro, 39 reviews, 191 photos, 4 travelogues
- Dresden Intro, 37 reviews, 190 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Münster Intro, 37 reviews, 188 photos, 9 travelogues