"Borkum: Island with high sea climate" Borkum by Kathrin_E
Borkum Travel Guide: 51 reviews and 80 photos
I love the North Sea coast. A long weekend in a seaside resort on the North Sea has the value of a four-week holiday to me. My aim is to spend at least a few days there each year.
There is nothing more relaxing to me than walking along the beach with my feet in the water, breathing the fresh salty air, watching the changing tides, observing the animals in the tidelands, biking along the dikes and the trails through the dunes. The eternal strong wind makes my North-German blood sparkle. The island of Borkum with its high-sea climate has the freshest wind of them all!
Borkum is the westernmost of Germany's seven East Frisian Islands. Holland is close, and clearly visible from the top of the lighthouse.
Being an art historian, a city trip with sightseeing and museums is a study trip to me, not a holiday. Sometimes even someone like me wants to relax, best in an art history free zone. Borkum isn't entirely without culture, though! Historical buildings and a little museum show the history of the island as a base of whalers and fishermen and the development of the spa town in the 19th century.
Since I'm living without a car, public transport connections strongly influence my choice of destination. The port of Emden where the Borkum ferries depart can easily be reached by train, so it's no problem to get there.
Allow me to humbly mention that this page won a prize in VT's Weekend Warrior Contest in August 2008.
- Pros:Wind, sea, tidelands, big sky, fresh fish...
- Cons:Weather not always perfect
- In a nutshell:My favourite for relaxing vacations
The dike in front of the spa quarter and town centre has been terraced on two levels and turned into a promenade. The... more travel advice
The Wattwurm (lugworm, photo 2) is, in a way, the heraldic animal of the North Sea tidelands. These worm live in the... more travel advice
- Favourite Cafe with yummy cake
- See All "Moin" - The Local Greeting
- See All Bike Rentals
- See All Silly Souvenirs...
Kathrin_E's Related Pages
Borkum Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Borkum: Island with high sea climate"
- "I wished to see the Nordsee"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Borkum
- Hotels in Borkum
- Transportation in Borkum
- Nightlife in Borkum
- Restaurants in Borkum
- Shopping in Borkum
- Warnings and Dangers in Borkum
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Borkum
- 42 Reviews
- 70 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (80)
Have you been to Borkum?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Borkum
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Karlsruhe Intro, 118 reviews, 422 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marburg an der Lahn Intro, 78 reviews, 294 photos, 8 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 18 reviews, 273 photos, 25 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Konstanz Intro, 47 reviews, 240 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Essen Intro, 43 reviews, 219 photos, 6 travelogues
- Annaberg-Buchholz Intro, 25 reviews, 223 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wismar Intro, 39 reviews, 196 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Landshut Intro, 39 reviews, 191 photos, 4 travelogues
- Dresden Intro, 37 reviews, 190 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Münster Intro, 37 reviews, 188 photos, 9 travelogues