"Braunschweig" Top 5 Page for this destination Braunschweig by Kathrin_E
Braunschweig Travel Guide: 170 reviews and 553 photos
Yes. This is home.
This is the town where I was born and spent the first 22 years of my life.
Braunschweig - Brunswick to the English speaking world - once was a proud, almost independent city. Unfortunately they never managed to gain the status of a free imperial city. The Dukes of Braunschweig, whom the citizens had kicked out, fought their way back and made Braunschweig their residence in the 18th century.
In World War II, Braunschweig was hit by 40 air raids. 90% of the city centre were destroyed. The beautiful old town burnt down.
Some important buildings were rebuilt after the war, others even moved. City planners followed the concept of "tradition islands" - certain spots where historical architecture was preserved and rebuilt while the rest of the city centre shows modern post-war style.
View of Braunschweig in 1945
Praised as Braunschweig's most beautiful half-timbered house, Alte Waage is a fake like the Schloss. An inscription on... more travel advice
The renaissance house was built in 1630 for Mayor Georg Ackermann whose family crest is shown above the portal. The... more travel advice
Kathrin_E's Related Pages
Braunschweig Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Braunschweig, my home for now"
- "Opera and cycling in Braunschweig"
- "Of hearts and lions - Braunschweig"
- "Brewery or history?"
- "Braunschweig - a powerhouse of medieval Germany"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Braunschweig
- Hotels in Braunschweig
- Transportation in Braunschweig
- Nightlife in Braunschweig
- Restaurants in Braunschweig
- Shopping in Braunschweig
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Braunschweig
- 35 Reviews
- 148 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (90)
Have you been to Braunschweig?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Braunschweig
Photos in BraunschweigSee All Photos (148)
Videos in BraunschweigSee All Videos (2)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Karlsruhe Intro, 119 reviews, 432 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marburg an der Lahn Intro, 78 reviews, 294 photos, 8 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 18 reviews, 273 photos, 25 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuxhaven Intro, 47 reviews, 241 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Konstanz Intro, 47 reviews, 240 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 46 reviews, 223 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Essen Intro, 43 reviews, 219 photos, 6 travelogues
- Annaberg-Buchholz Intro, 25 reviews, 223 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wismar Intro, 39 reviews, 196 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Landshut Intro, 39 reviews, 191 photos, 4 travelogues