"Bruchsal: Baroque Residence Town" Top 5 Page for this destination Bruchsal by Kathrin_E
Bruchsal Travel Guide: 71 reviews and 228 photos
It all started with a vision...
Damian Hugo von Schönborn, Prince Bishop of Speyer, founded the residence in Bruchsal in 1720. After quarrels with the imperial city of Speyer, which was protestant and didn't want a catholic bishop to live inside its walls, he went looking for a place to build a new palace. Here he found the most beautiful location in his territory.
The palace originally consisted of more than 50 separate buildings. Damian Hugo was well aware that, as he wrote to a relative, he was building his new home "in a country were war takes place every day and hour. All buildings have to be separated, so if a fire occurs, the rest can be saved."
Most of these buildings are still there. The residence covers a whole quarter of the town. All the many different functions that belonged to the court of an absolutist prince show up in these buildings.
I'm presenting several of these court buildings in my Things to do tips.
The town of Bruchsal is much older than the baroque palace. It was first mentioned in 976 A.D. In its history it has suffered two almost complete destructions. In 1689 it shared the fate of most towns in this area and was burnt to ashes by French troups. On March 1, 1945 allied bombs shattered 80% of the town and also the palace to rubble. Bruchsal's centre is a modern post-war town. Some side streets, however, have maintained their baroque appearance - one has to know where to look. See my Off the beaten path tips to find them.
Since World War II bombs reduced most of the palace to a pile of rubble, what you see today is a reconstruction. The... more travel advice
The Church of Our Lady (Stadtkirche Unsere Liebe Frau) is the catholic parish church of the town centre. The gothic... more travel advice
- Summer Theater at the Belvedere
- See All S 31 and S 32 - the yellow trams
- See All Baroque Military Barracks in...
Kathrin_E's Related Pages
Bruchsal Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bruchsal: Baroque Residence Town"
- "Look ma, no electrons!"
- "THE STUNNING PALACE OF BRUCHSAL!"
- "A Day out in Bruchsal"
- "My Bruchsal"
- "Bruchsal- Near Karlsruhe"
- "Schloss Bruchsal"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bruchsal
- Transportation in Bruchsal
- Nightlife in Bruchsal
- Restaurants in Bruchsal
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bruchsal
- 35 Reviews
- 89 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (131)
Have you been to Bruchsal?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bruchsal
Photos in BruchsalSee All Photos (89)
Top 10 Pages
- Wroclaw Intro, 98 reviews, 516 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Karlsruhe Intro, 120 reviews, 432 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marburg an der Lahn Intro, 79 reviews, 303 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuxhaven Intro, 48 reviews, 250 photos, 10 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 18 reviews, 273 photos, 25 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Konstanz Intro, 47 reviews, 240 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 46 reviews, 223 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Essen Intro, 43 reviews, 219 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Münster Intro, 41 reviews, 218 photos, 10 travelogues
- Annaberg-Buchholz Intro, 25 reviews, 223 photos, 15 travelogues