"Chemnitz - Karl-Marx-Stadt - Chemnitz" Top 5 Page for this destination Chemnitz by Kathrin_E
Chemnitz Travel Guide: 128 reviews and 580 photos
Chemnitz is of interest to people who want to look for the traces of changes: the change from a smallish town to an industrial city in the late 19th century, the socialist city of the 1950s to 1980s, the change that lead to the reunification of Germany and what has happened since then. It is a destination for people who travel to discover, learn, and try to understand.
Chemnitz is not exactly what you'd call a tourist destination, but I spent a very interesting weekend there recently. This city represents DDR history more than others to me as a Wessi because socialism even abandoned its old name and renamed it Karl-Marx-Stadt. Countless letters from our relatives in the East arrived in our letter box with this 35 Pfennig stamp on them. This was the predominant picture we had - and I am glad that the Marx monument together with the building behind it has not been demolished after the end of socialism.
A poll among the citizens in the early 1990s lead to the reintroduction of the old name Chemnitz. Since then, modern shopping centres and department stores with glittering facades have invaded the city centre. I could not help but notice, though, that these were almost empty even during the best after-work shopping hour, while the cheapo street market in front of them was a lot busier. Unemployment is high and I think many people just don't have the money.
Straße der Textilien ("Textile Passage") is the title of an exhibition in the basement of the Museum of Industry. It... more travel advice
I picked the hotel mostly because of its location, conveniently close to the station and the city centre. It is a... more travel advice
Kathrin_E's Related Pages
Chemnitz Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Chemnitz - A City in Transition"
- "Chemnitz - City of Modernism"
- "Chemnitz - Karl-Marx-Stadt - Chemnitz"
- "Karl-Marx-Stadt --> Chemnitz"
- "Chemnitz, Saxony - Germany"
- "Bonios lunch stop in Chemnitz"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Chemnitz
- Hotels in Chemnitz
- Transportation in Chemnitz
- Nightlife in Chemnitz
- Restaurants in Chemnitz
- Shopping in Chemnitz
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Chemnitz
- 23 Reviews
- 178 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (93)
Have you been to Chemnitz?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Chemnitz
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Cuddly members"
- updated a Chemnitz Travel Page "Chemnitz - Karl-Marx-Stadt - Chemnitz"
- Commented on one of german_eagle's Chemnitz travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "The Sparkling Post-Modern City Centre"
- Wrote a Review Industriemuseum: Textile Passage in Chemnitz Things to Do
Photos in ChemnitzSee All Photos (178)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Karlsruhe Intro, 119 reviews, 428 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marburg an der Lahn Intro, 78 reviews, 294 photos, 8 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 18 reviews, 273 photos, 25 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuxhaven Intro, 47 reviews, 241 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Konstanz Intro, 47 reviews, 240 photos, 10 travelogues
- Dresden Intro, 46 reviews, 223 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Essen Intro, 43 reviews, 219 photos, 6 travelogues
- Annaberg-Buchholz Intro, 25 reviews, 223 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wismar Intro, 39 reviews, 196 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Landshut Intro, 39 reviews, 191 photos, 4 travelogues