"Cuxhaven" Top 5 Page for this destination Cuxhaven by Kathrin_E
Cuxhaven Travel Guide: 66 reviews and 325 photos
Cuxhaven is one on the few places on the mainland where the mudflats are sandy and solid, thus can be walked safely. About 10-15 kms of sea bottom fall dry at low tide, so no matter how crowded the beach has been, you'll be on your own when you set out.
The tidelands are part of the Nationalpark Deutsches Wattenmeer and full of life. For those who are interested in nature, there is a lot to discover.
At the same time the town is big enough to offer all kinds of infrastructure and shopping. Train connections both to Hamburg and Bremen are all right, so the place is easy to reach without a car.
In late spring 2007 I spent three weeks in Cuxhaven and found it the PERFECT place for my purposes: I needed a quiet place far away from my phone, internet and the usual hassle to write/finish a book, and I wanted it to be close to the sea. There is nothing more relaxing to me than walking along a beach with my bare feet in the water, feeling the wind and the sun. Since I was little I have always been fascinated by big ships, so that was another plus. At the same time I wanted a place with enough infrastructure for emergency (computer store in case of laptop trouble, library in case of need for more information, good train connections, etc.) I rented a self-catered apartment in the suburb of Stickenbüttel in the house of a wonderful elderly couple who were always ready for a chat, rented a bicycle and divided my time between writing and outdoor activities depending on weather, daylight hours, tides (and momentary laziness). I even discovered a jewel that's made it into my book: the church of Lüdingworth (see "Off the beaten path" tips).
The Kugelbake is the landmark of Cuxhaven. It marks the end of the mouth of the river Elbe and the beginning of the open sea and serves as navigation point for the ships. And it is the best spot for ship watching.
I had long wanted to return and this summer I finally made it back. I rented an apartment in Döse this time, five minutes walk from the dyke and the beach. I stayed for 10 days, most of which were spent with my favourite pastime, i.e. tideland walks, tides permitting. But I also took the chance to go on day trips to Helgoland and Stade.
In March 2015 I spent two weeks in Otterndorf for research reasons, and I gave myself a day off for a hop over to Cuxhaven. A couple of new photos are hence added to this page.
- In a nutshell:Beach, tides, fresh wind, endless walks and big ships.
So far I had seen the beach always in high season, all filled with beach baskets and wind-protecting fences in between.... more travel advice
Buses are the way to move between the various districts of Cuxhaven if you don't have your own transportation, i.e. at... more travel advice
Kathrin_E's Related Pages
Cuxhaven Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Cuxhaven ... no it's not the end of the world"
- "A quiet vacation by the North sea"
- "The beach in winter"
- "CUXHAVEN BY BOAT"
- "My kind of Beach"
- "Have a rest on the North See"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cuxhaven
- Hotels in Cuxhaven
- Transportation in Cuxhaven
- Restaurants in Cuxhaven
- Shopping in Cuxhaven
- Warnings and Dangers in Cuxhaven
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cuxhaven
- 48 Reviews
- 250 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (140)
Have you been to Cuxhaven?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cuxhaven
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wroclaw Intro, 100 reviews, 526 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Karlsruhe Intro, 120 reviews, 432 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marburg an der Lahn Intro, 79 reviews, 303 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuxhaven Intro, 48 reviews, 250 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Münster Intro, 46 reviews, 246 photos, 10 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 18 reviews, 273 photos, 25 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Konstanz Intro, 47 reviews, 240 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 46 reviews, 223 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Essen Intro, 43 reviews, 219 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Schwetzingen Intro, 39 reviews, 214 photos, 10 travelogues