"Cuxhaven" Top 5 Page for this destination Cuxhaven by Kathrin_E

Cuxhaven Travel Guide: 66 reviews and 325 photos

On the shores of the North Sea

Cuxhaven is one on the few places on the mainland where the mudflats are sandy and solid, thus can be walked safely. About 10-15 kms of sea bottom fall dry at low tide, so no matter how crowded the beach has been, you'll be on your own when you set out.

The tidelands are part of the Nationalpark Deutsches Wattenmeer and full of life. For those who are interested in nature, there is a lot to discover.

At the same time the town is big enough to offer all kinds of infrastructure and shopping. Train connections both to Hamburg and Bremen are all right, so the place is easy to reach without a car.

In late spring 2007 I spent three weeks in Cuxhaven and found it the PERFECT place for my purposes: I needed a quiet place far away from my phone, internet and the usual hassle to write/finish a book, and I wanted it to be close to the sea. There is nothing more relaxing to me than walking along a beach with my bare feet in the water, feeling the wind and the sun. Since I was little I have always been fascinated by big ships, so that was another plus. At the same time I wanted a place with enough infrastructure for emergency (computer store in case of laptop trouble, library in case of need for more information, good train connections, etc.) I rented a self-catered apartment in the suburb of Stickenbüttel in the house of a wonderful elderly couple who were always ready for a chat, rented a bicycle and divided my time between writing and outdoor activities depending on weather, daylight hours, tides (and momentary laziness). I even discovered a jewel that's made it into my book: the church of Lüdingworth (see "Off the beaten path" tips).

Kugelbake

The Kugelbake is the landmark of Cuxhaven. It marks the end of the mouth of the river Elbe and the beginning of the open sea and serves as navigation point for the ships. And it is the best spot for ship watching.

Cuxhaven Revisited, July/August 2013

I had long wanted to return and this summer I finally made it back. I rented an apartment in Döse this time, five minutes walk from the dyke and the beach. I stayed for 10 days, most of which were spent with my favourite pastime, i.e. tideland walks, tides permitting. But I also took the chance to go on day trips to Helgoland and Stade.

In March 2015 I spent two weeks in Otterndorf for research reasons, and I gave myself a day off for a hop over to Cuxhaven. A couple of new photos are hence added to this page.

• In a nutshell:Beach, tides, fresh wind, endless walks and big ships.
  • Last visit to Cuxhaven: Mar 2015
  • Intro Updated Apr 8, 2015

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Apr 19, 2015 at 3:14 PM

Kathrin, after reading about all the great things to see and do in Cuxhaven I'm surprised you managed to finish writing your book while you were there.

• Kathrin_E's Profile Photo
      Apr 19, 2015 at 3:24 PM

8 hours of sleep, 8 hours of work, 8 hours of spare time per day! It was the most efficient and at the same time most relaxing thing I ever did.

• Chinggis_n_Borte's Profile Photo
      Apr 19, 2015 at 5:05 PM

I have been to Cuxhaven once and I was there for several weeks it was on the month of March and the wind and snow was relentless. It was on a heavy winter and no matter how thick my jacket is it was unbearable.

Chinggis K

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Oct 14, 2013 at 1:19 PM

New page

• Sep 28, 2011 at 5:27 AM

Hello Kathrin,
    Please could you help me!
    I wish to walk (on mud, of course :)) betwen Cuxhaven up to Neuwerk island.
    Could you tell me about an autorised quide or an organised walking into 08 or 09.10.2011?
    My email adress is windsurferul@gmail.com
    I search on the internet but I find only stories about this walk. (No contact information or schedule or website)

• fabrice's Profile Photo
    Aug 21, 2008 at 1:36 AM

I have never visited Niedersachsen , but I would agree to live in Karlsruhe (70 kms from my hometown), will you accept me in Germany ?

• Basaic's Profile Photo
    Mar 10, 2008 at 4:54 PM

Looks like a great place to visit.

• german_eagle's Profile Photo
    Mar 10, 2008 at 8:09 AM

Bei der Fahrradtour wäre ich gleich dabei. Beim Fisch essen sowieso ;-)

Kathrin_E

“Life is too short to drink bad wine.”

Badges & Stats in Cuxhaven

Have you been to Cuxhaven?

Latest Activity in Cuxhaven