"Colourful Town on the Romantic Road" Donauwörth by Kathrin_E
Donauwörth Travel Guide: 31 reviews and 180 photos
Donauwörth is on the Romantic Road, the probably most visited tourist route in Germany. However, it is one of the many places along the route that most visitors don't take into consideration for a stop because they have never heard of it. It is not as spectacular as Rothenburg or Nördlingen, admittedly, but if you have time it is worth a few hours.
I was not touring the Romantic Road, though. I was on the way back home from Ingolstadt and decided to hop off the train and see another new place on the way. Donauwörth is about halfway along the regional train route between Ingolstadt and Ulm.
The town is located where the small river Wörnitz meets the Danube. The big river provided work for the citizens - fishing and trade. The river by the town is not the Danube but the Wörnitz, though.
The town can well be visited in a couple of hours and walks are short, hence a perfect stopover destination, except for one practical problem: There are no lockers at the train station. Many thanks to the nice lady at the tourist information for storing my suitcase!
Unfortunately Donauwörth shared the fate of most cities and many towns in this country: heavy damage in World War II. However, if you don't know you won't notice. The old town has been rebuilt well and the result is indeed pretty.
What impressed me most? The colours. The houses are each painted in a different colour. All shades of pastels are there but also stronger colours. The general appearance is lively and colourful even on a grey autumn day like this. I can only imagine what it may look like on a sunny day.
The Teutonic Order settled in Donauwörth already in 1214, so this is one of the earliest settlements as the order was... more travel advice
The smaller Wörnitz meets the big Danube at the eastern end of the old town. Cross the bridge over the Wörnitz (nice... more travel advice
Kathrin_E's Related Pages
Donauwörth Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Colourful Town on the Romantic Road"
- "Living community with old Wealth"
- "Wonderful Donauworth"
- "A Wombat in Donauwörth"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Donauwörth
- Hotels in Donauwörth
- Transportation in Donauwörth
- Restaurants in Donauwörth
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Donauwörth
- 14 Reviews
- 84 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (90)
Have you been to Donauwörth?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Donauwörth
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Karlsruhe Intro, 119 reviews, 432 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marburg an der Lahn Intro, 78 reviews, 294 photos, 8 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 18 reviews, 273 photos, 25 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuxhaven Intro, 47 reviews, 241 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Konstanz Intro, 47 reviews, 240 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 46 reviews, 223 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Essen Intro, 43 reviews, 219 photos, 6 travelogues
- Annaberg-Buchholz Intro, 25 reviews, 223 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wismar Intro, 39 reviews, 196 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Landshut Intro, 39 reviews, 191 photos, 4 travelogues