"Zwickau: Home to Trabant and Robert Schumann" Zwickau by Kathrin_E
Zwickau Travel Guide: 71 reviews and 419 photos
... these are the most famous sons of the city. Zwickau is known for music and cars.
The composer Robert Schumann was born here on June 8, 1810.
In 1904, the early times of the automobile, August Horch founded his factory. To give it a more sophisticated image he translated his name into Latin and created a brand that is still common on German roads more than 100 years later: Horch ("Listen") became Audi.
Cars from Zwickau also populated the roads of the DDR. The Trabant, the most common vehicle of the DDR, was produced here.
However, there is more to see and hear in Zwickau. Unfortunately there is but a small number of historical buildings preserved in the city centre. It wasn't so much the war that ruined the old town but four decades of socialist city planning. There are some highlights, though. Zwickau has the medieval Priesterhäuser, the cathedral and some other churches, the buildings round market square, large art nouveau quarters... and the Brühlette, the DDR's answer to the Hamburger.
Maybe one would not cross oceans just to see Zwickau. But if you happen to be in the area and have some time left, this city is worth a closer look.
The "New World" was built in 1903 as a concert hall and ballroom. The architecture is a mix of neo-baroque and art... more travel advice
August Horch's villa next to the old factory grounds is easily missed, that's why I gave it a separate tip. The villa is... more travel advice
Kathrin_E's Related Pages
Zwickau Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Robert Schumann, cars and more"
- "Zwickau: Home to Trabant and Robert Schumann"
- "Spending an afternoon at the police station..."
- "Zwickau in Sachsen"
- "A Wombat in Zwickau"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Zwickau
- Hotels in Zwickau
- Transportation in Zwickau
- Nightlife in Zwickau
- Restaurants in Zwickau
- Warnings and Dangers in Zwickau
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Zwickau
- 22 Reviews
- 127 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (139)
Have you been to Zwickau?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Zwickau
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wroclaw Intro, 100 reviews, 526 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Karlsruhe Intro, 120 reviews, 432 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marburg an der Lahn Intro, 79 reviews, 303 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuxhaven Intro, 48 reviews, 250 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Münster Intro, 46 reviews, 246 photos, 10 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 18 reviews, 273 photos, 25 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Konstanz Intro, 47 reviews, 240 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 46 reviews, 223 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Essen Intro, 43 reviews, 219 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Schwetzingen Intro, 39 reviews, 214 photos, 10 travelogues