"Dresden" Dresden by Kathrin_E

Dresden Travel Guide: 1,336 reviews and 4,024 photos

Autumn morning magic at the Blue Wonder bridge

Dresden and surroundings are one of my favourite travel regions in Germany. I am shaking my head if I read forum posts from people who want to see Dresden in one day trip, and even more about people who seriously believe Dresden can be seen in a few hours.
Well, you see only what you know of.

I am currently planning my, if counting correctly, 7th visit to the Dresden area. Each visit was between four and ten days long. And I still have a list as long as a roll of toilet paper with places to see and things to do. Again there are some tough decisions to be made. There is just too much that sounds appealing...

This page is a construction site and will forever be, just like the city. Whenever I see the old centre, it has changed again. Burnt to ashes in the war, only partly rebuilt in DDR times and the rest left in ruins or substituted by socialist architecture, now a lot is rebuilt, reconstructed or even reinvented. Dresden is fascinating for its historical heritage, but just as well for the different ways of dealing with destruction and reconstruction.

• Last visit to Dresden: Jun 2013
  • Intro Updated Jun 25, 2013

• german_eagle's Profile Photo
    Jul 4, 2013 at 8:07 AM

Congrats to another Top 5 page!

• nicolaitan's Profile Photo
    May 1, 2011 at 9:17 AM

took a while to get back and just beginning your great material. christmas in germany must be magical.

• ATLC's Profile Photo
    Sep 25, 2010 at 11:44 AM

Excellent tips! Just the kind I want to read. I've saved some for my Trip Planner. Thanks!

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Jun 19, 2009 at 4:01 PM

Fraunenchircke is a fabulous place of worship with splendor and color in spite of hard times previously-glad they rebuilt

• craic's Profile Photo
    Apr 20, 2009 at 10:55 AM

Those books sound really interesting. Have you read Stasiland by Anna Fund?

• Arkeolog's Profile Photo
    Apr 14, 2009 at 2:41 PM

Excellent Dresden page. Your page brought my sweet memories back. I liked your tips and that bridge&swans shot. greetings from Istanbul.

• margaretvn's Profile Photo
    Mar 23, 2009 at 5:06 AM

great page and photos - i enjoyed it very much. hope all is well in your part of the world, margaret

• junecorlett's Profile Photo
    Feb 15, 2009 at 8:27 AM

All your photographs are GOOD! Congrats longest reigning rookie.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Jan 26, 2009 at 11:32 PM

Wonderful pictures and stories, thanx!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Dec 16, 2008 at 9:27 AM

I enjoyed reading your art-historian's view of Dresden. Somehow I missed those frames along the Elbe showing where Canaletto made his sketches in the 18th century. I never knew the story of Johann Friedrich Böttger and the start of the porcelain industry.

Kathrin_E

“Life is too short to drink bad wine.”

Badges & Stats in Dresden

Have you been to Dresden?

Latest Activity in Dresden