"Emden and Ostfriesland" Top 5 Page for this destination Emden by Kathrin_E
Emden Travel Guide: 38 reviews and 85 photos
Emden is the center of Ostfriesland (East Frisia), a region with a great history and amazing historical architecture. To me this region was a big surprise, and I'd like to go back and explore more of it.
The city of Emden was, unfortunately, heavily hit by World War II air raids and more than 80% destroyed. Not much is left of the once wealthy old town with its almost Dutch appearance. The closeness to the Netherlands helped Emden, for example, during the 30 year war and founded the town's wealth and independence.
The port in the estuary of the river Ems used to be more important in former times than it is today. Economy is struggling. Compared to Hamburg or Rotterdam, the port is tiny.
The branches of the port extend into the heart of the town and connect to a system of canals leading further inland. There is lots of open water in town, thus space, fresh air and views.
The so-called Friesennerz ("Frisian Mink") is by no means an expensive fur coat. This is the nickname of a certain... more travel advice
Windmills have been built on the highest elevations of the town - the ramparts. The fortifications have long been turned... more travel advice
Kathrin_E's Related Pages
Emden Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Emden and Ostfriesland"
- "Emden, East-Frisia"
- "pieter_jan_v's Emden Page"
- "maksim_caine's new Emden Page"
- "tessy's new Emden Page"
- "HanspeterJ's Emden Page"
- "Emden Lighthouse"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Emden
- Hotels in Emden
- Restaurants in Emden
- Warnings and Dangers in Emden
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Emden
- 23 Reviews
- 62 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (80)
Have you been to Emden?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Emden
Photos in EmdenSee All Photos (62)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Karlsruhe Intro, 118 reviews, 422 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marburg an der Lahn Intro, 78 reviews, 294 photos, 8 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 18 reviews, 273 photos, 25 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Konstanz Intro, 47 reviews, 240 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Essen Intro, 43 reviews, 219 photos, 6 travelogues
- Annaberg-Buchholz Intro, 25 reviews, 223 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wismar Intro, 39 reviews, 196 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Landshut Intro, 39 reviews, 191 photos, 4 travelogues
- Dresden Intro, 37 reviews, 190 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Münster Intro, 37 reviews, 188 photos, 9 travelogues