Charleston Transportation Tips by riorich55

Charleston Transportation: 27 reviews and 27 photos

Think Green Take a Pedicab

The day was getting warmer and now after visiting the Charleston Museum and 2 of the homes on our 2 day pass, having had our lunch and gelato we needed to head South of Broad near the Battery to try to get in one more home before they closed for the day. Question - how to get several miles further south without taking our car from the parking garage. A pedicab ride of course.

Sue and I had obviously seen pedicabs in any number of cities, but we never had tried one out for ourselves. But the time was ripe and and the distance was long so I hailed down the first pedicab driver I saw and we hoped on board.

I told him we needed to head to the other side of town and off we went. Now Charleston is a great city for pedicabs, horses, mules and all other types of non normal type of vehicles to get through the city. The streets are narrow and for the most part relatively car free in the downtown historical section. In fact I can only recall seeing one environmentally friendly regular cab during the day.

Our driver for that trip was a young man from Milwaukee who said he played a lot of rugby. I felt a little sorry for him taking us all the way across town especially when we would have to stop at a stop light and he would have to really but a lot of effort into getting the momentum going again. He said it was the farthest anyone had ever asked him to go. I didn't get any still pictures but here is the link to a short video clip of Our Ride on King Street.

We paid for our fare in cash. They charge by the time with a 10 minute minimum. Our ride was about 15 minutes. You can call for an appointment and have them pick you up at a designated place and time.

Mode: AROUND

Phone: 1 843 577 7088

Type: Bicycle

Website: http://www.1charlestonpedicab.com

• Updated Nov 17, 2009
Your Next Car? - Charleston

Your Next Car?

Park by the Visitors Center

On our first full day in Charleston we got up, got ready, had the breakfast buffet at the hotel and then crossed the bridge into the city for our first full day's activities in Charleston.

A lot of the guide books we had seen mentioned to make a stop at the Charleston Visitor Center to get an orientation of the city, pick up any necessary brochures and for a few dollars see a 20 minute film on Charleston.

Purpose of this Tip: If you are planning on spending the day in Charleston and have a rental car like us plan to drop off your car in the parking lot at the front of the Visitors Center or do like we did and park just north of the Visitor Center in the covered garage parking deck. Although he didn't get back to our car until almost 10:00 p.m. that night, parking out of the sunlight on a hot day would come in handy if you came back to your car when it was still light out.

I don't remember what the 1/2 hour fee was in the parking deck, but the daily maximum fee here was $8 per 24 hour period versus other parking decks around town which were $1 per 1/2 hour and a maximum of $20 per 24 hour period. So if you plan, like we did to spend most of the day in town the $8 vs. $20 fee will save you a few coins.

And then if you have a car like the one featured in a magazine I saw lying on a Charleston door step, you'll probably like the added safety of the parking deck.

Mode: AROUND

Type: Other

• Written Nov 16, 2009

riorich55

“"There is no better high then discovery"”

Badges & Stats in Charleston

Have you been to Charleston?

Latest Activity in Charleston