"Pleasant Adventure Not on Original Travel Plans" Aiken by riorich55
Aiken Travel Guide: 24 reviews and 29 photos
After we had stopped at the South Carolina Visitor Center just across the border from Georgia and received a detailed map of South Carolina along with other assorted brochures we took the exit off the interstate and headed toward Aiken. What we discovered was a quiet Southern town with a few nice surprises.
First, a little history taken from 2 markers in the downtown area.
Aiken, chartered in 1835, was an early stop on the Charleston to Hamburg railroad line. It became the county seat of Aiken County when it was established in 1871. The town is named after William Aiken (1779-1831) who was the first president of the South Carolina Canal and Railroad Company.
The only Civil War battle in the area was fought near the end of the war on February 11, 1865.
Aiken's mild climate and accessibility by railroad soon made it a health resort for visitors hoping to escape the summer heat or seeking relief from various types of lung ailments. The city's resort status was enhanced in the late 19th and early 20th century with its fame as a "Winter Colony" created by wealthy Northeners who built houses, golf courses, polo fields, race tracks and stables.
In the 1950's there was a population boom after the construction and opening of the Savannah River Plant which was used for the creation of nuclear material.
- Pros:Small, Beautiful Little City with Nice Downtown
- In a nutshell:Surprises Awaited Us Around Every Turn
Glad we had to stop in while we could. While researching to write a little bit more about this tip, I ran across an... more travel advice
riorich55's Related Pages
Aiken Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My Hometown"
- "Horse Country"
- "A Quiet Southern Town"
- "Pleasant Adventure Not on Original Travel Plans"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Aiken
- 3 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (62)
Have you been to Aiken?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Aiken
Photos in AikenSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Chicago Intro, 93 reviews, 331 photos, 11 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 55 reviews, 139 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Naperville Intro, 41 reviews, 147 photos, 6 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 28 reviews, 129 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 35 reviews, 68 photos
- Charleston Intro, 14 reviews, 53 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lauterbrunnen Intro, 14 reviews, 47 photos, 1 travelogue
- Barcelona Intro, 13 reviews, 47 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Haven Intro, 13 reviews, 38 photos
- Las Vegas Intro, 15 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue