"A Visit to Sagamore Hill" Oyster Bay by riorich55
Oyster Bay Travel Guide: 18 reviews and 53 photos
Sometimes when you travel things just work out beautifully. Such was the case for my most recent (April, 2010) business trip to New York. I only had a few days notice before going out here so everything from flights, car rental, hotel and what I wanted to do in my spare time had to be decided upon quickly.
The car rental and hotel were easy since we were told where the group of us (business co-workers) were going to be staying (a Marriott - alright more points) and the company recommended car rental (Avis - yes still more points). The flight was a little trickier since my company (Pepsi) is located nearer to the Westchester Co Airport, but the last minute flights from Chicago to Westchester Co were around $800. I wasn't paying for the trip, but I hate spending even company money for an over priced flight. This is where it got interesting. Through some searching I found a $210 round trip flight from Chicago to New York LaGuardia which left Sunday morning at 6:00 a.m. from Chicago and left New York on Friday at 5:10 p.m. As a morning person the 6:00 a.m. wasn't a problem and this is where everything started to fall into place for the trip.
I set my alarm clock just in case (as it turned out my natural waking instincts kicked in as usual) for 3:35 a.m. After a quick shower and shave I grabbed my brief case and suit case, kissed my wife goodbye and headed out the door at 3:50 a.m. (I told you I'm a morning person). Made it to the outside airport parking area around 4:25 a.m. and was the last person to board the shuttle for an 8 minute ride to the airport (interesting that there were that many people that early in the morning on the shuttle). As an AAirpass Member with American (business perk) I went to my "special line" checked my suitcase, breezed through security and grabbed a coffee and muffin while I headed down to my gate with plenty of time to spare.
Boarded the plane early (I really like AAirpass) and settled in. Soon my seat mate arrived and took the window seat. After she settled in I asked her what got her on an early morning flight to New York and over the next 2 1/2 hours we became good enough friends that we now are Facebook friends. She had just been in Chicago for the day as a conductor of a one night run play near my home town. Rachel who graduated from the University of Chicago, conducts, plays many instruments, has visited many countries around the world and does a lot of work on cruise lines. What a great way to pass an early morning flight taking travel.
After arriving at New York La Guardia Airport and collecting my luggage I grabbed the rental car shuttle and several minutes later was dropped off by my rental car (company Avis perk - no paperwork as it's already on file) which was a brand new (only 1200 miles) Ford Taurus loaded with all the extras including satellite radio, rear camera, etc. etc. and all for the standard full size car price.
I don't worry about GPS because like my waking instincts, if you give me a map and I know what direction I'm heading I can figure my way from point A to point B. So I looked at the Avis map I was given and plotted my internal navigation system toward Oyster Bay. I arrived here at just about 10:00 a.m. (or 9:00 a.m. back in Chicago) just 3 hours after take off from O'Hare. Found out that the first tour of Theodore Roosevelt's House was at 10:30 a.m. and that starting that day for the next week was National Parks Week (or something to that affect) and that instead of the $5.00 fee the tour was FREE! Was I on a role or what!!!
- In a nutshell:Beautiful Spot on the Long Island Sound
After checking in at the visitor center and then walking about 100 yards to the house I waited outside with several... more travel advice
riorich55's Related Pages
Oyster Bay Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Home Sweet Home"
- "Interesting History Here"
- "A Visit to Sagamore Hill"
- "Oysters ..."
- "Oyster Bay, NY"
- "Resident wildlife at Theodore Roosevelt Sanctuary"
- "Tiny pretty beach town heavily immersed in history"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Oyster Bay
- 3 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (43)
Have you been to Oyster Bay?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Oyster Bay
- Posted in Travel Switzerland Forum "Re: 3-4 Days Itinerary in..."
- Commented on one of riorich55's Oyster Bay travel pages
- Wrote a Review Where Theodore Roosevelt is Buried in Oyster Bay Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Tour of Sagamore Hill"
- updated a Oyster Bay Travel Page "A Visit to Sagamore Hill"
Photos in Oyster BaySee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Chicago Intro, 83 reviews, 287 photos, 11 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 55 reviews, 139 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Naperville Intro, 40 reviews, 141 photos, 6 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 28 reviews, 129 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 35 reviews, 68 photos
- Charleston Intro, 14 reviews, 53 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lauterbrunnen Intro, 14 reviews, 47 photos, 1 travelogue
- Barcelona Intro, 13 reviews, 47 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Haven Intro, 13 reviews, 38 photos
- Las Vegas Intro, 15 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue