"Home of the Annual Blueberry Festival" Top 5 Page for this destination South Haven by riorich55

South Haven Travel Guide: 78 reviews and 203 photos

Welcome to South Haven

During the last weekend of July, Sue and I got away for a 3 day, 2 night stay through Northern Indiana and Southern Michigan. We both have our own digital cameras so we go a little crazy with pictures, but now that we have just a great audience here on VT, well here are the links to the tips and about 100 shots from that trip. Nappanee, Indiana and South Haven, Saugatuck and St Joseph, Michigan.

Located about 2 hours from Chicago is the lake town of South Haven, Michigan. Long a haven for Chicagoans this pleasant little town on the eastern shores of Lake Michigan is home to numerous Bed and Breakfast, Inns, a quiet downtown area, a beach and plenty of fresh vegetables and fruits.

The Harbor Looking Toward the Town

There are many weekend visitors who take their boats up from Chicago and park for 1 or 2 nights at the public docks. South Haven is just one of several towns along the eastern Lake Michigan shore line where the boaters can dock.

The South Haven Lighthouse

• In a nutshell:A Nice Weekend Getaway Spot
  • Last visit to South Haven: Aug 2009
  • Intro Updated Jun 9, 2013

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Apr 12, 2014 at 5:28 AM

South Haven is one of those places I used to go through on the bus (or even by car, when I still did that sort of thing) on the way to Muskegon, but I never thought of stopping. Thanks for showing me some of the things I missed out on.

• riorich55's Profile Photo
      Apr 12, 2014 at 4:46 PM

My wife and I just discovered South Haven back in 2009 when we spent a few nights at a Bed and Breakfast type place at a near by golf course. We've gotten back a few times since then. Thanks for the reviews!

• Donna_in_India's Profile Photo
    Apr 15, 2010 at 9:02 AM

Great tips Rich! I think we'll be too late for the blueberries but the ride on the sloop looks very cool! Lighthouse looks cool too. Blackened chicken with a cherry sauce sounds delicious!

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Jan 8, 2010 at 12:27 PM

You two must have had a very blue mouth :))) Lovely place this!

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Nov 26, 2009 at 1:04 PM

"Pancake Town!" that is a new one! The Inn you stayed at looks great, and the Sailing ship, that really looks like a nice relaxing outing.

• ChristinaNest's Profile Photo
    Aug 19, 2009 at 11:40 AM

Thank you for the nice postcard! It seems you had a great time by the Michigan lake, will check out your pages to read more about it. greetings from sofia

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Aug 15, 2009 at 10:31 AM

I've often wondered about South Haven so I was pleased to read your insights. Your restaurant and hotel tips are especially excellent. Thanks.

riorich55

“"There is no better high then discovery"”

Badges & Stats in South Haven

Have you been to South Haven?