"A Special Place on the Lake" Saint Joseph by riorich55
Saint Joseph Travel Guide: 15 reviews and 33 photos
Taking the monikers from the Welcome to Downtown St. Joseph sign I was intigued to find out more about the "Most Romatic City" claim. Apparently in 2006 Susan Ager of the Detroit Free Press suggested that the city’s beautiful beaches might have earned that title for St. Joseph. But the true claim may go back more then 100 years ago with this information which I will quote here.
"At the beginning of the twentieth century, Michigan’s arms were opened wide, inviting potential couples to come and tie the knot. Michigan’s marriage requirements, far more lenient than those of neighboring states, brought eager couples here to wed. St. Joseph was the most popular marriage destination. Amorous Chicagoans by the thousands boarded steamers early Sunday mornings, arriving in St. Joseph four hours later. A band greeted them as they disembarked — as well as large crowds of curious onlookers. The lovers hurried off to the county clerk’s office, tied the knot and returned to the steamer before it traveled back to Chicago the same day.
Now you wonder was this the Nevada (Reno and Las Vegas) of the 19th century? And unlike many quicky marriages and divorces in Las Vegas today, how many of those marriages lasted?
Here is another claim that St. Joseph can make according to a recent publication in Delta Airlines Sky Magazine. They are the #2 city in the world ranked as a Great Escape. They were only beaten out by Nice, France and ahead of Railay, Krabi, Thailand.
I haven't read the article, but I can only assume that because St. Joseph is located less then 100 miles from Chicago and a drive across Michigan from Detroit that it is a Great Escape from the big Midwestern Urban cities.
They do have a great beach and a nice town atmosphere so no argument from me on that claim.
- Pros:Pretty Beach and Downtown Area
- Cons:Getting Here From Chicago Can Be a Traffic Nitemare
- In a nutshell:Unexpectantly Pleasant!
The original Clementine's Restaurant is in downtown South Haven, but for the several days we were in town the wait was... more travel advice
riorich55's Related Pages
Saint Joseph Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Special Place on the Lake"
- "kimberbakos's new Saint Joseph Page"
- "Lake Michigan looks like the ocean!!!"
- "White Sands"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Saint Joseph
- Transportation in Saint Joseph
- Restaurants in Saint Joseph
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Saint Joseph
- 3 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (45)
Have you been to Saint Joseph?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Saint Joseph
Photos in Saint JosephSee All Photos (14)
Top 10 Pages
- Chicago Intro, 91 reviews, 320 photos, 11 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 55 reviews, 139 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Naperville Intro, 41 reviews, 147 photos, 6 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 28 reviews, 129 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 35 reviews, 68 photos
- Charleston Intro, 14 reviews, 53 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lauterbrunnen Intro, 14 reviews, 47 photos, 1 travelogue
- Barcelona Intro, 13 reviews, 47 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Haven Intro, 13 reviews, 38 photos
- Las Vegas Intro, 15 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue