"The REAL Hometown of VT Member DABS" Top 5 Page for this destination Hammond by riorich55

Hammond Travel Guide: 61 reviews and 175 photos

Happy Birthday Kristi!! - August 8, 2010

I've been on business in Munster, Indiana over the past week which is nearby Hammond in the Northwest corner of Indiana. This is the area of Indiana which maintains strong ties to Chicago (jobs, timezones, sports teams) and of course is home to "World Renowned VT Member Krisiti (aka DABS). So as I had my camera along with me on this trip as I do on all trips, I decided to make this a fun Hammond introduction page and at the same time wish Kristi a Happy Birthday.

The pictures for the introduction were all taken at the Carlson Oxbow Park just down the road from the hotel I was staying at and just on the other side of the major interstate route that runs between Chicago and Detroit. The only times I've really gone through Hammond have been on my way down to Indianapolis or Bloomington Indiana (my 2 oldest boys went to Indiana University) or on our way to southeast Michigan, so this was an interesting find.

What Some People Think of the Area

Some of the areas around Hammond (i.e. - certain parts of South Chicago and Gary, Indiana) are not the parts of town you would want to spend much time in, especially after hours. Like any large metro area and even in many small areas you really want to know where you are at if you haven't been there before.

This Vehicle Parking sign was in the parking area of the park and reflects what some people think the WHOLE area is about. It is not!! As the first picture and hopefully the other pictures of this quaint little park will show there are many oasis if you only know where to look.

An Old Bubbler

One of the first things I noticed after I parked my car was this rusting out bubbler (water fountain) outside the entrance to the park. If you take a closer look at the picture you will notice a little stream of water below the fountain trailing off into the park. There was just the slightest trickle of water "bubbling" out of the top. Even though I didn't take a drink (wasn't really thirsty at the time), I'm sure the water was fine, although with the outward appearance of the fountain, many people probably would have 2nd thoughts about taking a cool drink.

I forgot that you can only include 3 pictures on the introduction of a city page. I will continue this story on the Hammond Travelogue.

• Last visit to Hammond: Aug 2010
  • Intro Written Aug 8, 2010

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    Aug 10, 2010 at 9:17 PM

I don't think the folks in Highland would take kindly to being called a suburb of Hammond! I've never been to any of the spots on your page, Hammond is a big city!!!

riorich55

“"There is no better high then discovery"”

Badges & Stats in Hammond

Have you been to Hammond?

Latest Activity in Hammond