"The REAL Hometown of VT Member DABS" Top 5 Page for this destination Hammond by riorich55
Hammond Travel Guide: 61 reviews and 175 photos
I've been on business in Munster, Indiana over the past week which is nearby Hammond in the Northwest corner of Indiana. This is the area of Indiana which maintains strong ties to Chicago (jobs, timezones, sports teams) and of course is home to "World Renowned VT Member Krisiti (aka DABS). So as I had my camera along with me on this trip as I do on all trips, I decided to make this a fun Hammond introduction page and at the same time wish Kristi a Happy Birthday.
The pictures for the introduction were all taken at the Carlson Oxbow Park just down the road from the hotel I was staying at and just on the other side of the major interstate route that runs between Chicago and Detroit. The only times I've really gone through Hammond have been on my way down to Indianapolis or Bloomington Indiana (my 2 oldest boys went to Indiana University) or on our way to southeast Michigan, so this was an interesting find.
Some of the areas around Hammond (i.e. - certain parts of South Chicago and Gary, Indiana) are not the parts of town you would want to spend much time in, especially after hours. Like any large metro area and even in many small areas you really want to know where you are at if you haven't been there before.
This Vehicle Parking sign was in the parking area of the park and reflects what some people think the WHOLE area is about. It is not!! As the first picture and hopefully the other pictures of this quaint little park will show there are many oasis if you only know where to look.
One of the first things I noticed after I parked my car was this rusting out bubbler (water fountain) outside the entrance to the park. If you take a closer look at the picture you will notice a little stream of water below the fountain trailing off into the park. There was just the slightest trickle of water "bubbling" out of the top. Even though I didn't take a drink (wasn't really thirsty at the time), I'm sure the water was fine, although with the outward appearance of the fountain, many people probably would have 2nd thoughts about taking a cool drink.
I forgot that you can only include 3 pictures on the introduction of a city page. I will continue this story on the Hammond Travelogue.
On business trips, I have the reputation of the "guy of finds the good restaurants". So with my reputation on the line... more travel advice
riorich55's Related Pages
Hammond Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "I don't live in a cornfield"
- "HAMMOND - CHICAGO' S BEDROOM COMMUNITY"
- "Hammond, Indiana"
- "A town built by Pierogis and Steel"
- "The REAL Hometown of VT Member DABS"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hammond
- Hotels in Hammond
- Transportation in Hammond
- Nightlife in Hammond
- Restaurants in Hammond
- Shopping in Hammond
- Warnings and Dangers in Hammond
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hammond
- 3 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (61)
Have you been to Hammond?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hammond
Photos in HammondSee All Photos (19)
Top 10 Pages
- Chicago Intro, 93 reviews, 331 photos, 11 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 55 reviews, 139 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Naperville Intro, 41 reviews, 147 photos, 6 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 28 reviews, 129 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 35 reviews, 68 photos
- Charleston Intro, 14 reviews, 53 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lauterbrunnen Intro, 14 reviews, 47 photos, 1 travelogue
- Barcelona Intro, 13 reviews, 47 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Haven Intro, 13 reviews, 38 photos
- Las Vegas Intro, 15 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue