"Me and Ernest Hemingway" Top 5 Page for this destination Oak Park by riorich55
Oak Park Travel Guide: 46 reviews and 148 photos
When visitors from out of state or out of the country come to Chicago it is usually for a visit to the "Big City" itself or as just a layover spot at O'Hare Airport. By itself Chicago has enough to keep one busy for weeks at a time. But like other big cities around the globe there is a "whole other world" to be seen outside big city environs if one has the time to see beyond.
One of these cities is Oak Park, Illinois the birthplace of riorich55 and Ernest Hemingway. If you are any kind of a reader you probably have read a bit more about Ernest and probably have read a book or two by him also, but I'm trying to catch up to him someday.
As you can see from this photo, Oak Park is connected to the City of Chicago by several train lines including the Chicago "EL" trains. Oak Park actually borders the city of Chicago so it is only about a 20 minute "EL" ride from the city on the "EL's" Green Line.
A number of years ago my mom and dad had their first and only son, me. My dad tells the story about how he was at the hospital with my mom, but the doctor told him to go home that my mom wasn't going to give birth for a while. So he took the doctor's orders and went home to watch a little Red Skelton on TV. By the time he arrived back at the hospital he had a new baby boy awaiting him.
Besides Ernest and me a fellow by the name of Frank Lloyd Wright use to do some work around these parts. I'll need to get back into Oak Park to get a picture of a couple of homes he has here, but for now here is a stretch of buildings on Oak Park avenue just north of that train station in picture 1.
- In a nutshell:Very Livable City on the Border of Chicago
riorich55's Related Pages
Oak Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Cultural and Educational Trip to Oak Park"
- "The town that Frank Lloyd Wright built"
- "Beautiful Historic Suburb of Chicago"
- "It's all about Frank ..."
- "Me and Ernest Hemingway"
- "Frank Lloyd Wright's House & Studio"
- "Oak Park"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Oak Park
- Hotels in Oak Park
- Transportation in Oak Park
- Restaurants in Oak Park
- Shopping in Oak Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Oak Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Oak Park
- 1 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (45)
Have you been to Oak Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Oak Park
Top 10 Pages
- Chicago Intro, 84 reviews, 292 photos, 11 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 55 reviews, 139 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Naperville Intro, 40 reviews, 141 photos, 6 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 28 reviews, 129 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 35 reviews, 68 photos
- Charleston Intro, 14 reviews, 53 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lauterbrunnen Intro, 14 reviews, 47 photos, 1 travelogue
- Barcelona Intro, 13 reviews, 47 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Haven Intro, 13 reviews, 38 photos
- Las Vegas Intro, 15 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue