Naperville Sports & Outdoors Tips by riorich55 Top 5 Page for this destination
Naperville Sports & Outdoors: 5 reviews and 13 photos
The First Runners at Mile 11
The inaugural Naperville Half and Full Marathon was run for the first time on November 10, 2013. Part of the course (mile 11 in particular) was on the street right behind our house. I was able to walk out of my backyard and start taking pictures.
The racers were all past my area by 10:00 a.m. Shortly thereafter the water station, tent and port-a-potties were picked up and gone. We are a very efficient town when it comes to events.
Theme: Sports Watching
Just outside of downtown Naperville right off a portion of the Riverwalk is a place to try out your figure skating moves or maybe play a game of ice hockey.
Recently on a photo shoot of my hometown I saw a couple of people practicing their shooting and puck handling on the ice.
Every winter the Naperville Park District floods an area which includes a couple of full size outdoor hockey rinks and a general area for all ice skaters.
Why even the 2010 Gold Medal Olympic Men's Figure Skating Champion, Naperville's own Evan Lysacek, used to practice here when he was a kid. Maybe I'll see the next Olympic champion skating here someday.
I will use some quotes from the Whalon Lake website along with some of my personal impressions.
"Along the east branch of the DuPage River lies the 266-acre Whalon Lake, acquired between 1992 and 1994. The preserve features an oak-savanna grove and large wetland areas that have been restored and enhanced, in addition to a variety of recreation opportunities.
The western portion of the preserve includes a picnic shelter that can be reserved for large groups. It also contains an eight-acre dog park with a smaller 2.5-acre park for dogs under 35 pounds.
The eastern portion of the preserve features an 80-acre converted quarry lake that offers canoeing, kayaking, and boating opportunities. A 1.85-mile paved trail, part of the multi-jurisdictional DuPage River Trail, encircles the lake. The trail continues 0.5-mile west beyond the dog park to the wetlands; this trail is ideal for hiking, biking, in-line skating, and cross-country skiing. A picnic shelter near the lake can be reserved for large groups."
This is the end of the quoted material.
Equipment: It mentioned in the article that this land was acquired between 1992 and 1994. It is actually maintained by the Will County (the county I live in) Forest Preserve District and is on land actually between Naperville and the next suburb Bolingbrook. The park finally opened sometime in the mid-2000's.
I've biked through the park on a number of occasions and it is a great spot for some photography which I'm sharing with you in these 5 photos.
Address: Off Royce Road
Directions: Off Royce Road in the Southeast portion of Naperville
During the second Friday and Saturday in May the Illinois High School Association (IHSA) holds the semi-finals and finals of the girls state soccer tournament on the campus of North Central College located a block east of downtown Naperville. The boys hold their tournament during their season in the fall during the first Friday and Saturday in November. For one summer in 2006 while they were building a new soccer field in Bridgeview, Illinois the Chicago Fire professional soccer team called this field home.
Here is a link to a short video taken from outside the stadium during the girls semi-finals in May, 2009.
Equipment: Shin guards, shoes and the soccer (football)
Directions: Just east of the intersection of Chicago and Washington in Downtown Naperville
More Reviews (35)
- See All Naperville Shopping Guide
- See All River Woods Park
- See All Ring in the New Year with the Millennium...
- See All Typical Naperville Subdivision
riorich55's Related Pages
Naperville Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Technoburb, USA"
- "Naperville - Our Hometown For 33 Years"
- "Naperville -- a fun western suburb of Chicago"
- "You can go home again!"
- "A Nice suburb!!"
- "My Visit to Naperville"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Naperville
- Hotels in Naperville
- Transportation in Naperville
- Restaurants in Naperville
- Shopping in Naperville
- Warnings and Dangers in Naperville
- See All...
Explore the World
- Kootenay National Park Hotels
- Vikedal Hotels
- Gampaha Hotels
- Harpers Ferry Hotels
- Ko Phangan Sports & Outdoors
- Pietermaritzburg Sports & Outdoors
- Ulm Sports & Outdoors
- Kruger National Park Sports & Outdoors
- Negombo Sports & Outdoors
- Bloemfontein Sports & Outdoors
- Taiwan Sports & Outdoors
- Torremolinos Sports & Outdoors
- Bald Head Island Sports & Outdoors
- Davao City Sports & Outdoors
- Chon Buri Sports & Outdoors
- Kyonggi-do Sports & Outdoors
Badges & Stats in Naperville
- 39 Reviews
- 133 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 16 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (44)
Have you been to Naperville?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Naperville
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Only in Minnesota"
- Wrote a Review Inaugural Naperville Marathon in Naperville Sports & Outdoors
- Uploaded a Photo to "Inaugural Naperville Marathon"
- updated a Naperville Travel Page "Naperville - Our Hometown For 33 Years"
- Commented on one of riorich55's Naperville videos
- Uploaded a Video to Naperville
Photos in NapervilleSee All Photos (133)
Videos in NapervilleSee All Videos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Chicago Intro, 83 reviews, 287 photos, 11 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 55 reviews, 139 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Naperville Intro, 39 reviews, 136 photos, 6 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 28 reviews, 129 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 35 reviews, 68 photos
- Charleston Intro, 14 reviews, 53 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lauterbrunnen Intro, 14 reviews, 47 photos, 1 travelogue
- Barcelona Intro, 13 reviews, 47 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Haven Intro, 13 reviews, 38 photos
- Las Vegas Intro, 15 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (71)
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (5)
Latest Naperville hotel reviews