Naperville Shopping Tips by riorich55 Top 5 Page for this destination

Naperville Shopping: 17 reviews and 31 photos

- Naperville
All the Stores - All the Time: Naperville Shopping Guide

NOTE: Stores do come and go! This was a place that came and went quickly. As I said I thought it was overpriced and really a bit off the main downtown area.

As I was in downtown Naperville a few days after some heavy rainfall and some flooding took place in April 2013 (including my basement which took on about 6 inches) taking pictures I decided to stop in at the Naperville Chamber of Commerce and pick up a book on all the shops, restaurants, etc.

On my way back to the car I happened upon a little boutique store I'd never seen before. It was off the main drags of shopping and about 1/2 block away from the main Naperville Library.

I didn't stop in the I Medici Firenze store specializing in Leather Goods from Florence, Italy, but I can probably assume that they are on the expensive side.

But, the intent of this little tip is to give you a link to the listing of all the shops, restaurants in downtown Naperville. This link will be the best way for you and me to keep track of the comings and goings of everything downtown in our vibrant community.

What to buy: Name it and there probably is a store to buy it.

What to pay: What to you want to buy?

Website: http://www.downtownnaperville.com/shopping_guide

• Updated Jun 29, 2014
Exterior of Apple Store - Naperville

Exterior of Apple Store

Apple Retail Store - Main Place: For All You Apple Needs

This Apple retail store opened up in 2009 and at times it seems like a good portion of Naperville's almost 150,000 people are in it everyday. Take a look at the 2nd picture and you'll see what I mean. They are there either buying the latest Apple i gadget or attending a one on one training session or group session.

My own experience with the store has been very positive. I have bought a number of apple devices over the past few years (iMac, iPod Touch and the latest an iPad) and have been treated very well although the relatively young staff sometimes has a tendency to sometimes assume too much knowledge by the consumer.

When entering the store usually somebody greets you right away and then if you are there to buy something can help you immediately. If you are there for a class they will check you in. If you are there for a repair or question you will also get checked in. I've done all of the mentioned and each time have a very pleasant consumer experience. On my last visit I needed to buy a new power cord for my iPad. I was greeted at the door by an associate who immediately got me the product, looked up my account on his iPod Touch, swiped my credit card and emailed my receipt. Total time in the store less then 2 minutes. My type of shopping indeed.

What to buy: Again anything with the Apple i in front of the name.

I just came back from a group class on the iPod and iTunes and learned several new things. All my questions which I had stored on my iPad were answered very effectively.

What to pay: Depends on the product you buy

Address: 120 W Jefferson, Naperville

Directions: In downtown Naperville, across from Anderson's Bookstore and just down the street from the Naperville Public Library

Phone: 1 630 536 5400

Theme: Computers and Electronics

Website: http://www.apple.com/retail/mainplace/

• Updated Mar 23, 2013
Go Ahead Stop In - Naperville
Serendipity Resale Store: Go Ahead Stop In

For those of you who know me I'm not much of a shopper. A good shopping experience for me is usually to go into a store for what I'm looking for, find it and get out as fast as I can. This way I'm not tempted to buy something I probably don't need anyway and then I can save up more money for my next trip.

However, there is always the exception to the rule and the Serendipity Store is one that I will actually go in, wander about a bit and usually come out with a small purchase.

The store is not that big. In fact there are 2 crowded aisles and a little spot in the back of the store filled with a variety of clothing, children's toys, books, some paintings and various knick knacks.

Before I go into the store I check out the window displays and see if something looks interesting. There is usually something interesting there and with my last trip last week (March, 2013 as I write this tip) I'm starting to take photographs in black and white of some of the store displays.

The store is run by volunteers to the Little Friends Society in Naperville. All goods in the store are donated.

Stop in if you are in the area.

What to buy: I've purchased some clothing, books, puzzles and few other miscellaneous knick knacks!

What to pay: The most I've ever spent was about $5 for a pair of pants. Most of the time I buy things for a dollar or two.

Address: 12 W Jefferson

Directions: Jefferson and Washington. Jefferson is the main shopping street in downtown Naperville.

• Written Mar 23, 2013
Valentine's Day Shopping in Black and White - Naperville
Various Shops: Valentine's Day Shopping in Black and White

I'm not a big shopper, but sometimes I like to go into downtown Naperville just to browse and periodically actually buy something. The interesting thing about downtown Naperville is that they have some name brand type stores (Eddie Bauer, Apple) and some local independent stores and they all blend together.

There is a mixture of some very old buildings (at least by U.S. standards over 100 years old) and some new construction, but again because of the planning process that our city adheres to very strictly everything does blend together very well.

On a recent January day I ventured downtown to try some black and white window shots of some of the establishments in downtown Naperville. Above are 5 of those shots I took that day. The stores were getting decked out for Valentine's Day.

What to buy: You name it you can probably buy it downtown.

What to pay: Whatever you want to spend

Address: Downtown Naperville

Directions: Intersection of Washington and Chicago

• Updated Feb 4, 2013
Jefferson Street - Early One Sunday Morning - Naperville

Jefferson Street - Early One Sunday Morning

Jefferson Street: Jefferson Street Downtown Naperville

This is a general view of Jefferson Street in Downtown Naperville. There are several streets with many shops. An update to the types of shops will be forthcoming as I take additional pictures.

Update: July, 2012 - How soon we forget what we write. I wrote the few words above back in 2008 in the VT period I refer to now as "My Learning How to Walk and Post VT Tips" era.

I will try to post some more pictures on the main shopping street here and give you a little better idea of the number of shops, restaurants, etc on this street. I know I have at least one new picture that I took last week while at my favorite Jefferson Street store, The Apple Store.

What to buy: You name it, they probably have it.

• Updated Jul 18, 2012
Outside View of Great Harvest Bread - Naperville

Outside View of Great Harvest Bread

Great Harvest Bread Co: Fresh Homebaked Breads, Cookies, Scones

Unlike the city of Chicago and some of the older suburbs places like Naperville don't seem to do a heavy trade on breads and cookies (maybe all the people are health conscience). I'm health conscience myself, but I find that everything done in moderation is fine. The breads here are all fresh baked and since I don't have the French breads to compare to yet (we'll see after my trip to Paris in October) are very good. There are a number of these stores around the Chicago area suburbs. They have different specials every day and seasonal breads like the Irish Soda Bread I bought yesterday for St Patricks Day. I almost forgot, they have free taste samples of all the day's breads and other goodies.

What to buy: The Cinnamon Swirl, Asiago Italizan Focaccia and Chedder Garlic are my favorites

What to pay: Although a bit on the expensive side compared to store bought breads. About $5 to $6 each they are fresh and freeze really well.

Address: Naperville Plaza - Washington and Gartner

Directions: Just west of downtown Naperville in the Naperville Plaza Strip Mall

Phone: 630 369-5115

Theme: Food and Drink

• Updated Mar 16, 2008

riorich55 Lives Here!

riorich55

“"There is no better high then discovery"”

Badges & Stats in Naperville

Have you been to Naperville?

Latest Activity in Naperville