"Naperville - Our Hometown For 34 Years" Top 5 Page for this destination Naperville by riorich55
Naperville Travel Guide: 142 reviews and 277 photos
NOTE: I will keep trying to add new tips since this is my home town. I really try to keep up with the changes in restaurants and stores in the area so always check any additional notes I have to see if the store or restaurant you are interested in is still open.
Since I live here I want to make sure that the date of last visit is always the current month, so hopefully this year I will put a new picture as my main Naperville picture to reflect the time of year in and around our home and Naperville.
As the title says, Sue and I have lived here for 34 years. We moved to Naperville from Peoria back in 1979 when we had been married about 3 years with no kids. 4 kids later we moved out of our original home in 1987 and into the one we built and currently live in on the southeast side of town. When we moved here in 1979 the population of the town was around 45,000 and getting ready to celebrate its 150th birthday in 1981. Today the population is about 145,000 making it the 5th largest city in Illinois.
One of the statuettes in our backyard. The other two are of a golfer and basketball player. Yes, I am a Die Hard Cub Fan. I keep changing the wording on this page every year hoping that this will be the year the Cubs finally win it all. 2012 was not a fun year. With a new General Manager in charge wholesale changes were made, the budget was pared and a new team rebuilding began. 102 losses later the season is finally over. Hopefully next yeat the improvements will start to take shape. Of course Cubs fans have been saying that for many many years now.
UPDATE - On yet another windy night in July, 2012 most of the other limbs of the tree came down. We made the decision to cut down the 24 year old tree and now will only have pictures and memories to remind us of our patio shade tree. We have replaced that tree with another, but that will take a while to reach the heights of our former one.
One windy night part of the tree came down. On another windy night another part came down and then yet on a 3rd windy night another part came down. So the picture you see here is of our tree about 3 years ago. Some of the bigger offshoots are the ones that have broken off. But it still gives some nice shade to our patio so until it is completely gone we will try to coax more life out of it. But we've added a little humor with the decoration Sue put up. Our motto: When life gives you lemons make lemonade.
If you look close at the picture you will see Hoppy, our backyard squirrel in the upper right hand side of the tree. This picture was taken several summers ago, so I don't know if it is Hoppy we still see in our tree or maybe it is son or daughter of Hoppy.
- Pros:Family Friendly, Great Downtown, Riverwalk and Parks
- Cons:Traffic and Parking can be difficult especially on weekends
- In a nutshell:Our Home Town For Over 30 Years
There are always lots of parades in downtown Naperville, New Years Eve, St Patricks Day, Memorial Day, 4th of July,... more travel advice
The inaugural Naperville Half and Full Marathon was run for the first time on November 10, 2013. Part of the course... more travel advice
- See All River Woods Park
- See All Typical Naperville Subdivision
- Plenty of Traffic During Rush Hour
riorich55's Related Pages
Naperville Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Naperville - Our Hometown For 34 Years"
- "Technoburb, USA"
- "Naperville -- a fun western suburb of Chicago"
- "You can go home again!"
- "A Nice suburb!!"
- "My Visit to Naperville"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Naperville
- Hotels in Naperville
- Transportation in Naperville
- Restaurants in Naperville
- Shopping in Naperville
- Warnings and Dangers in Naperville
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Naperville
- 41 Reviews
- 144 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 19 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (63)
Have you been to Naperville?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Naperville
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Who Would Like to Come to..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Naperville Shopping Guide"
- Commented on one of riorich55's Naperville travel pages
- Wrote a Review Go to a Parade in Naperville Local Customs
- updated a Naperville Travel Page "Naperville - Our Hometown For 34 Years"
- Uploaded a Video to Naperville
Photos in NapervilleSee All Photos (144)
Videos in NapervilleSee All Videos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Chicago Intro, 91 reviews, 322 photos, 11 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 55 reviews, 139 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Naperville Intro, 41 reviews, 147 photos, 6 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 28 reviews, 129 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 35 reviews, 68 photos
- Charleston Intro, 14 reviews, 53 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lauterbrunnen Intro, 14 reviews, 47 photos, 1 travelogue
- Barcelona Intro, 13 reviews, 47 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Haven Intro, 13 reviews, 38 photos
- Las Vegas Intro, 15 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue