"Naperville - Our Hometown For 34 Years" Top 5 Page for this destination Naperville by riorich55

Naperville Travel Guide: 141 reviews and 271 photos

From the Top of Moser Tower

NOTE: I will keep trying to add new tips since this is my home town. I really try to keep up with the changes in restaurants and stores in the area so always check any additional notes I have to see if the store or restaurant you are interested in is still open.

Since I live here I want to make sure that the date of last visit is always the current month, so hopefully this year I will put a new picture as my main Naperville picture to reflect the time of year in and around our home and Naperville.

As the title says, Sue and I have lived here for 34 years. We moved to Naperville from Peoria back in 1979 when we had been married about 3 years with no kids. 4 kids later we moved out of our original home in 1987 and into the one we built and currently live in on the southeast side of town. When we moved here in 1979 the population of the town was around 45,000 and getting ready to celebrate its 150th birthday in 1981. Today the population is about 145,000 making it the 5th largest city in Illinois.

Die Hard Cub Fan

One of the statuettes in our backyard. The other two are of a golfer and basketball player. Yes, I am a Die Hard Cub Fan. I keep changing the wording on this page every year hoping that this will be the year the Cubs finally win it all. 2012 was not a fun year. With a new General Manager in charge wholesale changes were made, the budget was pared and a new team rebuilding began. 102 losses later the season is finally over. Hopefully next yeat the improvements will start to take shape. Of course Cubs fans have been saying that for many many years now.

Hoppy's Tree

UPDATE - On yet another windy night in July, 2012 most of the other limbs of the tree came down. We made the decision to cut down the 24 year old tree and now will only have pictures and memories to remind us of our patio shade tree. We have replaced that tree with another, but that will take a while to reach the heights of our former one.

One windy night part of the tree came down. On another windy night another part came down and then yet on a 3rd windy night another part came down. So the picture you see here is of our tree about 3 years ago. Some of the bigger offshoots are the ones that have broken off. But it still gives some nice shade to our patio so until it is completely gone we will try to coax more life out of it. But we've added a little humor with the decoration Sue put up. Our motto: When life gives you lemons make lemonade.

If you look close at the picture you will see Hoppy, our backyard squirrel in the upper right hand side of the tree. This picture was taken several summers ago, so I don't know if it is Hoppy we still see in our tree or maybe it is son or daughter of Hoppy.

• Pros:Family Friendly, Great Downtown, Riverwalk and Parks
  • Cons:Traffic and Parking can be difficult especially on weekends
  • In a nutshell:Our Home Town For Over 30 Years
  • Last visit to Naperville: Feb 2014
  • Intro Updated Feb 10, 2014

• Sep 25, 2012 at 7:30 AM

My wife and I bought a really nice town home! Things were going great until we had to order a bunch of little appliance parts in naperville and have them shipped over to upgrade our appliances that were dyin on us..

• leics's Profile Photo
    Aug 25, 2012 at 2:49 AM

Leics isn't as green as your hometown seems to be...but my hometown (i.e. where I was born) is actually Wolverhampton, which is an entirely different kettle of fish! :-)

• kenHuocj's Profile Photo
    Aug 19, 2012 at 4:52 AM

delightful read, Food and people are my personal weaknesses - one day, i'll get to Chicago area, then a VT afternoon of socializing ;-)))

• Manara's Profile Photo
    Aug 8, 2011 at 8:24 AM

Naperville looks like a very good place to live, and the Riverwalk is beautiful!

• janetanne's Profile Photo
    Mar 19, 2011 at 11:38 PM

What a great tree. Is your wife an artist? We should meet one day! You are welcome to visit me in Greece and m y home in Michigan is only an hour from Central Michigan University. Have a great day.

• Marisola's Profile Photo
    Dec 5, 2010 at 6:38 AM

I've been there, but I'd really like a tour of Naperville one day! How are you, Rich? I'm doing great!!! I have two trips coming up, and a big secret next week!

• Geoff_Wright's Profile Photo
    Mar 3, 2010 at 1:14 PM

That'll teach you to plant trees around the house, LOL! Great page and wonderful scenery too. We don't get leaf collections, they just blow in the neighbour's properties!

• MATIM's Profile Photo
    Feb 4, 2010 at 11:03 AM

I looked at your Naperville page. I think it's amazing what your wife made of that tree, I love it. BTW wish we had squirrels at our garden. What a cute animals they are. Liked the statues at the library.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jan 8, 2010 at 12:59 PM

I used to be a Cubs fan, too. But when I was nine years old they had a 36-game losing streak and I was so heartbroken that I never set foot in Wrigley Field again and even stopped listening to Jack Brickhouse.

• KiKitC's Profile Photo
    Sep 28, 2009 at 2:47 AM

Birthday greetings from New Jersey! I have family living in Aurora and Plainfield. Pass through Naperville often. Thanks for the tips.

riorich55 Lives Here!

riorich55

“"There is no better high then discovery"”

Badges & Stats in Naperville

Have you been to Naperville?

Latest Activity in Naperville