"At the Edge of the Chicagoland Area" Kankakee by riorich55

Kankakee Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 15 photos

Between Country and City

I think my first recollection of Kankakee was when I was a freshman in High School and our freshman basketball team took an early Saturday monring bus ride about 45 miles south to play a team in our conference in the city just north of Kankakee called Bradley. There are actually 3 cities that are all right next to each other and make up the Kankakee area. They are Kankakee, Bradley and Bourbonnais.

Located about 60 miles due south of Chicago on Interstate 57 the town is really not on any typical tourist trail. If you travel along the Interstate from Chicago to Champaign, Illinois (home of the University of Illinois) or head farther south into Southern Illinois or connect to Interstate 55 going to Memphis you won't even see the town. You will however cross over the namesake, Kankakee River which by the way is the only river I have ever canoed on when my youngest son was in scouts.

Winter Scene from Kankakee

• Last visit to Kankakee: Dec 2010
  • Intro Updated Dec 18, 2010

• Rich62's Profile Photo
    Mar 23, 2013 at 10:11 AM

...and Kankakee is mentioned in that famous railroading song....if I could just remember the name, what was it?

riorich55

“"There is no better high then discovery"”

Badges & Stats in Kankakee

Have you been to Kankakee?

Latest Activity in Kankakee