San Francisco Local Custom Tips by riorich55
San Francisco Local Customs: 281 reviews and 473 photos
My very first trip to San Francisco was back in 1985. I was a trainer and conducting a training class from Monday through Saturday. The classes were actually in a small hotel I was staying at by a marina on the Oakland side of the Bay, but most evenings I would head over to the BART station and head into San Francisco.
On my last full day there I had a rental car and got a chance to drive across the Golden Gate Bridge and see a few more of the areas that I couldn't walk to. On that drive across the Golden Gate Bridge was when I first saw the rolling fog that San Francisco is famous for. As I crossed the bridge the fog rolling over the small foothills on the other side looked like a boiling witches cauldron. To this day, more then 25 years later, I can still vividly recall that image.
On our last trip back in 2010 we had the opportunity to stay on one of the hills in San Francisco using hotel points I had earned on business trips during the year. One morning I got up early just so I could walk around the city and take in some quiet moments before everyone else started their busy day.
On this particular morning the fog was indeed rolling in and even though the photos don't show this fog off as well as being there in person hopefully it will give you some idea of my walk that morning.
For the most part San Francisco's weather is rather temperate year round. You will never get very hot summer days in the city itself as the Pacific ocean breezes cool everything off. Likewise because of the ocean you will not get any snowy days.
Thus, after walking around this very walkable city you may decide to shine those shoes up a bit before heading out to one of the many fine dining establishments around town.
But, if you see one of the shoe shine professionals taking a break on his throne during the day, as seen in picture #2, just let him catch his well deserved middle of the afternoon nap.
The Scary Server
Continuing our walk from the Mission District to the Castro District along 18th Street we saw a line of people on the other side of the street lined up for ice cream. We had already had a dessert not more then 10 minutes earlier, but when you're on vacation little rules like "only one dessert" are thrown out the window especially when you see something unique. So we crossed the street and venture over to Bi-Rite Creamery and Bakeshop.
Since it was Halloween Night and a night the San Francisco Giants were played in the World Series the streets in the area were jumping which could have been a reason for the line out of the shop. But after getting inside and having our taste of their homemade ice cream (soft serve) concoctions, we came to the conclusion that lines like this were probably very commonplace.
The flavors change daily depending on what is fresh. You will always have the standards like vanilla and chocolate, but you never know what will show up on the menu until you go or call the day of. From their website it says that they have no more then 5 ingredients in each flavor.
All the flavors are written on the glass partition in front of the ice cream. On Halloween they gave them delightful names such as: vampire vanilla, toasted coconut from the crypt (my choice that night), and coffee toffee with weird ritual roaster's coffee. In addition they are very environmentally friendly using cups and spoons that are biodegradable. If you get a chance stop in here on your visit.
Phone: 415 626 5600
More Reviews (25)
- See All Go On A Sunset Cruise
- Take in a Giants Ballgame
- See All Answer to Forum Question - April, 2012
- See All Website to Track Historic Streetcars
riorich55's Related Pages
San Francisco Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bagdad by the Bay"
- "San Francisco - My Favorie City - By Default"
- "San Francisco - "It's a free-for-all up there!""
- "SFO ... a declassé love letter to the CITY"
- "San Francisco: Why this heart never leaves"
- "I Left My Heart..."
- "San Francisco is Really Shaking Things Up!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in San Francisco
- Hotels in San Francisco
- Transportation in San Francisco
- Nightlife in San Francisco
- Restaurants in San Francisco
- Shopping in San Francisco
- Warnings and Dangers in San Francisco
- See All...
Explore the World
- Olongapo City
- Gander Bay Hotels
- Singosari Hotels
- Kifisia Hotels
- Vada Hotels
Badges & Stats in San Francisco
- 28 Reviews
- 129 Photos
- 251 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (44)
Have you been to San Francisco?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in San Francisco
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Best Place to Get a Taste of..."
- Commented on the San Francisco travel guide
- Commented on one of riorich55's San Francisco travel pages
- Wrote a Review Watch the Fog Roll In in San Francisco Local Customs
- Uploaded a Photo to "Watch the Fog Roll In"
- updated a San Francisco Travel Page "I've Left My Heart in San Francisco"
Photos in San FranciscoSee All Photos (129)
Top 10 Pages
- Chicago Intro, 83 reviews, 287 photos, 11 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 55 reviews, 139 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Naperville Intro, 39 reviews, 136 photos, 6 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 28 reviews, 129 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 35 reviews, 68 photos
- Charleston Intro, 14 reviews, 53 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lauterbrunnen Intro, 14 reviews, 47 photos, 1 travelogue
- Barcelona Intro, 13 reviews, 47 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Haven Intro, 13 reviews, 38 photos
- Las Vegas Intro, 15 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (5)
Latest San Francisco hotel reviews
- The Donatello Hotel
- 1575 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 10, 2013
- Comfort Suites San Francisco Airport
- 229 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 8, 2013
- El Capitan Hotel
- 17 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 18, 2013
- Petite Auberge
- 462 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 1, 2013
- Buena Vista Motor Inn
- 279 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 9, 2013
- Orange Village Hostel
- 45 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 25, 2013
- Casa Loma Hotel
- 124 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- The Washington Square Inn
- 231 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 20, 2013
- Pensione International
- 1 Review & Opinion
Latest: Jul 24, 2007
- Twin Peaks Hotel
- 11 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 15, 2013
- Hotel des Arts
- 369 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 17, 2013
- Stratford Hotel
- 479 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 9, 2013
- Hotel Bijou
- 264 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 27, 2013
- Best Western Americania
- 233 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 9, 2013
- Lombard Street- 131 Reviews, 211 Photos
- Chinatown- 177 Reviews, 308 Photos
- Golden Gate Bridge- 248 Reviews, 395 Photos
- Alcatraz- 290 Reviews, 484 Photos
- Fisherman's Wharf- 177 Reviews, 315 Photos
- Pier 39- 118 Reviews, 211 Photos
- Coit Tower- 133 Reviews, 251 Photos
- Alamo Square- 66 Reviews, 101 Photos
- Golden Gate Park- 118 Reviews, 244 Photos
- Twin Peaks- 34 Reviews, 47 Photos
See All San Francisco Things to Do