San Francisco Local Custom Tips by riorich55
San Francisco Local Customs: 281 reviews and 473 photos
My very first trip to San Francisco was back in 1985. I was a trainer and conducting a training class from Monday through Saturday. The classes were actually in a small hotel I was staying at by a marina on the Oakland side of the Bay, but most evenings I would head over to the BART station and head into San Francisco.
On my last full day there I had a rental car and got a chance to drive across the Golden Gate Bridge and see a few more of the areas that I couldn't walk to. On that drive across the Golden Gate Bridge was when I first saw the rolling fog that San Francisco is famous for. As I crossed the bridge the fog rolling over the small foothills on the other side looked like a boiling witches cauldron. To this day, more then 25 years later, I can still vividly recall that image.
On our last trip back in 2010 we had the opportunity to stay on one of the hills in San Francisco using hotel points I had earned on business trips during the year. One morning I got up early just so I could walk around the city and take in some quiet moments before everyone else started their busy day.
On this particular morning the fog was indeed rolling in and even though the photos don't show this fog off as well as being there in person hopefully it will give you some idea of my walk that morning.
For the most part San Francisco's weather is rather temperate year round. You will never get very hot summer days in the city itself as the Pacific ocean breezes cool everything off. Likewise because of the ocean you will not get any snowy days.
Thus, after walking around this very walkable city you may decide to shine those shoes up a bit before heading out to one of the many fine dining establishments around town.
But, if you see one of the shoe shine professionals taking a break on his throne during the day, as seen in picture #2, just let him catch his well deserved middle of the afternoon nap.
The Scary Server
Continuing our walk from the Mission District to the Castro District along 18th Street we saw a line of people on the other side of the street lined up for ice cream. We had already had a dessert not more then 10 minutes earlier, but when you're on vacation little rules like "only one dessert" are thrown out the window especially when you see something unique. So we crossed the street and venture over to Bi-Rite Creamery and Bakeshop.
Since it was Halloween Night and a night the San Francisco Giants were played in the World Series the streets in the area were jumping which could have been a reason for the line out of the shop. But after getting inside and having our taste of their homemade ice cream (soft serve) concoctions, we came to the conclusion that lines like this were probably very commonplace.
The flavors change daily depending on what is fresh. You will always have the standards like vanilla and chocolate, but you never know what will show up on the menu until you go or call the day of. From their website it says that they have no more then 5 ingredients in each flavor.
All the flavors are written on the glass partition in front of the ice cream. On Halloween they gave them delightful names such as: vampire vanilla, toasted coconut from the crypt (my choice that night), and coffee toffee with weird ritual roaster's coffee. In addition they are very environmentally friendly using cups and spoons that are biodegradable. If you get a chance stop in here on your visit.
Phone: 415 626 5600
More Reviews (25)
- See All Go On A Sunset Cruise
- Take in a Giants Ballgame
- See All Answer to Forum Question - April, 2012
- See All Website to Track Historic Streetcars
riorich55's Related Pages
San Francisco Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bagdad by the Bay"
- "San Francisco - My Favorie City - By Default"
- "San Francisco - "It's a free-for-all up there!""
- "SFO ... a declassé love letter to the CITY"
- "San Francisco: Why this heart never leaves"
- "I Left My Heart..."
- "San Francisco is Really Shaking Things Up!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in San Francisco
- Hotels in San Francisco
- Transportation in San Francisco
- Nightlife in San Francisco
- Restaurants in San Francisco
- Shopping in San Francisco
- Warnings and Dangers in San Francisco
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in San Francisco
- 28 Reviews
- 129 Photos
- 246 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (42)
Have you been to San Francisco?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in San Francisco
- Posted in Travel United States of America Forum "Re: What to see from LA to..."
- Commented on the San Francisco travel guide
- Commented on one of riorich55's San Francisco travel pages
- Wrote a Review Watch the Fog Roll In in San Francisco Local Customs
- Uploaded a Photo to "Watch the Fog Roll In"
- updated a San Francisco Travel Page "I've Left My Heart in San Francisco"
Photos in San FranciscoSee All Photos (129)
Top 10 Pages
- Chicago Intro, 81 reviews, 277 photos, 11 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 55 reviews, 139 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Naperville Intro, 38 reviews, 131 photos, 6 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 28 reviews, 129 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 35 reviews, 68 photos
- Charleston Intro, 14 reviews, 53 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lauterbrunnen Intro, 14 reviews, 47 photos, 1 travelogue
- Barcelona Intro, 13 reviews, 47 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Haven Intro, 13 reviews, 38 photos
- Las Vegas Intro, 15 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (65)
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (5)
Latest San Francisco hotel reviews
- Hayes Valley Inn
- 108 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 1, 2013
- Foleys Inn
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 31, 2006
- Hotel Metropolis
- 286 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 8, 2013
- European Guest House
- 22 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 7, 2013
- Radisson Hotel Fishermans Wharf
- 1034 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 17, 2013
- Hyatt At Fishermans Wharf
- 769 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 11, 2013
- Hotel Tomo San Francisco
- 447 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 16, 2013
- Union Square Backpacker's Hostel
- 28 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 1, 2013
- Red Victorian Inn
- 95 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 26, 2013
- Cornell Hotel de France
- 425 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 15, 2013
- InterContinental San Francisco
- 1084 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 16, 2013
- Rodeway Inn Civic Center San Francisco
- 64 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 7, 2013
- Amsterdam Hostel
- 44 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 9, 2013
- Golden Gate Bridge- 248 Reviews, 394 Photos
- Lombard Street- 132 Reviews, 213 Photos
- Alcatraz- 289 Reviews, 483 Photos
- Chinatown- 176 Reviews, 300 Photos
- Coit Tower- 134 Reviews, 252 Photos
- Pier 39- 119 Reviews, 214 Photos
- Fisherman's Wharf- 176 Reviews, 313 Photos
- Mission District- 51 Reviews, 122 Photos
- Alamo Square- 66 Reviews, 101 Photos
- Castro District- 47 Reviews, 63 Photos
See All San Francisco Things to Do