"The Spanish Word for Butterfly" Top 5 Page for this destination Mariposa by riorich55

Mariposa Travel Guide: 43 reviews and 87 photos

Where Should We Stay When We Visit Yosemite

Getting prepared for a vacation has always been a lot of fun for me. Since I was about 10 years old, I've always enjoyed the logistics planning when it comes to family vacations. Although some people might find this a bit strange it puts an image in my mind what I think I'll be seeing on the trip, so that when I get to a destination it's a little bit like I've been there before.

When deciding on where we should stay in the Yosemite area, I first started out with the facilities inside the National Park. After computing the cost of a 3 day stay, I quickly ruled that out. I next ventured just my search to about a 45 minute driving radius outside of any of the entrances and happened upon Mariposa.

A Little History

The following is taken from The Butterfly Cafe's website where we had dinner our first night in town.

"Mariposa is said to have been named by a Spanish Priest and a 25 man troop led by Gabriel Moraga in 1806. When he and his expedition came across creek laden with thousands of yellow butterflies, they named the area “Mariposa” which was the Spanish word for butterflies.

The dogface butterfly is California’s official state insect. The dogface is also endangered and indigenous to this area.

This area was once home to the famous Mexican Bandito Joaquim Murietta. Murrietta led a band of outlaws between 1850 and 1853 and were accredited with stealing over $100,000 in gold, over 100 horses, killing 19 people, and murdering 3 lawmen. He did this while out running 3 posses."

• Pros:Nice Quiet Town With Some Interesting Little Shops
  • Cons:A Little Bit of a Drive From Yosemite - But Not Too Much
  • Last visit to Mariposa: Oct 2010
  • Intro Updated Dec 4, 2010

• tropicrd's Profile Photo
    Feb 5, 2012 at 6:54 PM

Great page..love the bath and gaggle of turkeys..I love winding roads.
    Australia has lots of those tubs..makes a great herb garden.

• wise23girl's Profile Photo
    Feb 5, 2012 at 5:25 PM

Ha We still have one of those bathtubs....outside . Good for the horses water...Love the sound of "butterflies" ....and now realize how much we missed on our "Wild West" Tour (Western Bonanza) as our tour did not call in.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Dec 4, 2010 at 10:44 AM

Hi, Rich! ~ It's interesting to read your travel stories always....

riorich55

“"There is no better high then discovery"”

Badges & Stats in Mariposa

Have you been to Mariposa?

Latest Activity in Mariposa