"The Spanish Word for Butterfly" Top 5 Page for this destination Mariposa by riorich55
Mariposa Travel Guide: 43 reviews and 87 photos
Getting prepared for a vacation has always been a lot of fun for me. Since I was about 10 years old, I've always enjoyed the logistics planning when it comes to family vacations. Although some people might find this a bit strange it puts an image in my mind what I think I'll be seeing on the trip, so that when I get to a destination it's a little bit like I've been there before.
When deciding on where we should stay in the Yosemite area, I first started out with the facilities inside the National Park. After computing the cost of a 3 day stay, I quickly ruled that out. I next ventured just my search to about a 45 minute driving radius outside of any of the entrances and happened upon Mariposa.
The following is taken from The Butterfly Cafe's website where we had dinner our first night in town.
"Mariposa is said to have been named by a Spanish Priest and a 25 man troop led by Gabriel Moraga in 1806. When he and his expedition came across creek laden with thousands of yellow butterflies, they named the area “Mariposa” which was the Spanish word for butterflies.
The dogface butterfly is California’s official state insect. The dogface is also endangered and indigenous to this area.
This area was once home to the famous Mexican Bandito Joaquim Murietta. Murrietta led a band of outlaws between 1850 and 1853 and were accredited with stealing over $100,000 in gold, over 100 horses, killing 19 people, and murdering 3 lawmen. He did this while out running 3 posses."
- Pros:Nice Quiet Town With Some Interesting Little Shops
- Cons:A Little Bit of a Drive From Yosemite - But Not Too Much
For the second year in a row we stayed at a Bed and Breakfast away from the maddening crowds. Last year we stayed about... more travel advice
Now, I will be the first to admit that I'm not much of a shopper. To me a great shopping experience is going into a... more travel advice
riorich55's Related Pages
Mariposa Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Small Town Lots of History"
- "The Spanish Word for Butterfly"
- "Mariposa - quirky town full of surprises"
- "Western Gateway to Yosemite"
- "Yosemite Bug Inn near Mariposa - BEWARE !!!"
- "Nice little village close to Yosemite"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mariposa
- Hotels in Mariposa
- Nightlife in Mariposa
- Restaurants in Mariposa
- Shopping in Mariposa
- Warnings and Dangers in Mariposa
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mariposa
- 7 Reviews
- 28 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (46)
Have you been to Mariposa?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mariposa
Photos in MariposaSee All Photos (28)
Top 10 Pages
- Chicago Intro, 91 reviews, 320 photos, 11 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 55 reviews, 139 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Naperville Intro, 41 reviews, 147 photos, 6 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 28 reviews, 129 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 35 reviews, 68 photos
- Charleston Intro, 14 reviews, 53 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lauterbrunnen Intro, 14 reviews, 47 photos, 1 travelogue
- Barcelona Intro, 13 reviews, 47 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Haven Intro, 13 reviews, 38 photos
- Las Vegas Intro, 15 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue