"Where I've Always Wanted To Go" Switzerland by riorich55
Switzerland Travel Guide: 14,145 reviews and 41,834 photos
I don't know when the idea popped into my head but I've always had a dream of going to Switzerland. So when my wife and I finally had the $$$ after putting our 4 kids through college and the time we planned our first European Holiday.
My wife had also wanted to go to Paris and so we made our plans to fly to London and spend 4 days there, travel by train to Paris for 4 more days and finish our trip up in Switzerland for 4 more.
This was the perfect sequence to visit Europe for the first time as we were acclimated first to Europe through London which even though we spoke the same language is different in a number of aspects from the USA. Then on to Paris with a new language and as busy as London and then finally Switzerland with a lot fewer people and a slower pace.
We saw little slices of several areas of Switzerland including Bern, Lauterbrunnen, Interlaken and Lucerne, each with their own stories and beauty.
As this picture from the Village of Murren, above the Lauterbrunnen valley shows, life is slower paced.
"We finally made it to the top!" After a cable car ride, followed by a mountain train ride, a walk through a mountain village and then 2 more cable car rides we made it to the top of Schilthorn in about 1 hour from our base in the valley town of Lauterbrunnen. The day was incredible and the 360 panoramic views from the top were just amazing.
Dorothy and Toto may have had some frightening experiences in the Land of Oz, but along their journeys they came across some truly amazing sights and people.
We can really say the same thing about our couple of days in Switzerland, without the frightening aspect. Everywhere, you turned natural beauty just surrounded and embraced you.
- Pros:The Mountains, Valleys and Serenity
- Cons:Too Far Away From Home To Get To Every Weekend
- In a nutshell:Better Then I Could Have Imagined
Here is a link for all the webcams in the Bernese Oberland... more travel advice
If you are lucky enough to visit the Swiss countryside in early fall you may happen upon a wonderous event that evoked... more travel advice
riorich55's Related Pages
Switzerland Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Switzerland was my home for more than 5 years"
- "Switzerland like a dream..."
- "Welcome to the Heart of The Alps"
- "The Heart of Europe"
- "I love Switzerland - and all their cable-cars!"
- "VT Meeting Party for Janet"
- "First-Bachalpsee- First_Tour"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Switzerland
- Hotels in Switzerland
- Transportation in Switzerland
- Nightlife in Switzerland
- Restaurants in Switzerland
- Shopping in Switzerland
- Warnings and Dangers in Switzerland
- See All...
Explore the World
- Rancho Olompali State Historic Park Hotels
- Provincie Zeeland
- Province of Ontario
- Cocoa Beach
- Amizmiz Hotels
- Kopeng Hotels
- Easter Island
- Porto Ercole
- New Paltz
- State of Punjab Hotels
- Kals-am Großglockner
- El Abrigo
- Phoenix Hotels
- Liechtenstein Hotels
- Pekan Nanas
- Velden am Wörthersee
Badges & Stats in Switzerland
- 53 Reviews
- 127 Photos
- 319 Forum posts
- 4 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (42)
Have you been to Switzerland?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Switzerland
- Posted in Travel Fiji Forum "Re: Best Day trips & Activities"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Check out the Webcams Before You Go"
- Wrote a Review Answer to Forum Question - May 2012 in Switzerland Things to Do
- Commented on one of Adagio1's Switzerland travel pages
- updated a Switzerland Travel Page "Where I've Always Wanted To Go"
Top 10 Pages
- Chicago Intro, 81 reviews, 277 photos, 11 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 55 reviews, 139 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Naperville Intro, 38 reviews, 131 photos, 6 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 28 reviews, 129 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 35 reviews, 68 photos
- Charleston Intro, 14 reviews, 53 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lauterbrunnen Intro, 14 reviews, 47 photos, 1 travelogue
- Barcelona Intro, 13 reviews, 47 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Haven Intro, 13 reviews, 38 photos
- Las Vegas Intro, 15 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (5)
Top Switzerland hotels
- Geneva Hotels
- 980 Reviews - 2075 Photos
- Lucerne Hotels
- 946 Reviews - 2697 Photos
- Zürich Hotels
- 1860 Reviews - 5529 Photos
- Interlaken Hotels
- 506 Reviews - 1355 Photos
- Lausanne Hotels
- 345 Reviews - 879 Photos
- Zermatt Hotels
- 535 Reviews - 1494 Photos
- Lugano Hotels
- 390 Reviews - 1036 Photos
- Beatenberg Hotels
- 1 Review - 1 Photo
- Basel Hotels
- 483 Reviews - 1348 Photos
- Lauterbrunnen Hotels
- 262 Reviews - 779 Photos
- Engelberg Hotels
- 78 Reviews - 491 Photos
- Bern Hotels
- 591 Reviews - 1806 Photos
- Cointrin Hotels
- 4 Hotels
- Montreux Hotels
- 123 Reviews - 414 Photos
- Ascona Hotels
- 25 Reviews - 55 Photos